Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Chronograph Lighting Issues- What works for you?

Side question: when you're preparing to do your ladder test (10 rounds in .3grn increments) how particular are you about case length? Do you trim them to make sure they're all the same?

After a tumble, I full size all the brass in a Redding bushing die, then trim to the same length using a Wilson, clean the primer, then VLD chamfer.

I was weight sorting them but I’ve switched to all Nosler brass and haven’t found the need to anymore.

I still weight sort the Blem Accubonds as there is quite a difference in them, I’ve seen up to 2g difference.

I only had a few cases left of my last batch. I ran a 9 shot velocity ladder at 1/4 grain increments.

47g 2861
47.25g 2873
47.5g 2895
48g 2943
48.25g 2953
48.5g 2972
48.75g 2970
49g 2988

Today I took my last 6 cases I had of that batch and am working on AVG, SD, ES. I had a case from yesterday that I was suspicious of at 48.25. So I wanted to do some more testing before moving on to grouping.

So my process is not 100% set in stone.

My process is pretty similar to yours, but I work my way up the ladder in .2grn increments. I feel its a little easier to identify the flat spots if the increments are smaller. I've gone back and forth on whether to trim casings before a ladder test, but that's mostly because I'm lazy and its not my favorite part of the process. I need to do it, I know. It makes sense that the small differences in case length could effect MV enough to skew the data on a velocity ladder test.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back