Christmas celebration, Christmas tree, Christmas decorations

Europe

We lived on a farm in an area that had trees, plus we had room to grow trees. Grandfather had planted a small plot of land in "Christmas " trees and every year when we cut one, we would plant one. We also would make our ornaments each year and a few were saved for one reason or another and used again, but most were made fresh each year. After I took up residence on a sail boat, I had a small box of ornaments the children and grandchildren had made over the years which I used each year to decorate the tree, but I still bought a small, "real" tree. each year.

Also, each year both as a child and then as a mother, we spent approx one hour celebrating the birth of Christ. My grandmother insisted we do this before "we" exchange presents. My mother insisted we spend time each Christmas morning celebrating the birth of Christ, but it was after we opened our presents. I followed my mothers's example with our children.

I was wondering

1. Do any of you go out and cut a fresh tree each year ? And if so do you also replant one ? Or do you have a tree that you use every year ?

2. Does anybody make their ornaments anymore each year or use the same ornaments every year ?

3. Do you and your family spend time celebrating the birth of Christ on christmas morning ?

4. And something we didn't do but many folks do. Do you decorate the outside of your home ? ( I remember taking the kids to town and there was one block that every house on both sides of the street were decorated to the max. Even all the trees, fences, garages, etc. It was a dead end street only a block long, and every time we went, there were a line of cars driving slowly down the block and back. It was beautiful )

Wishing each and every one of you and your family a very Merry Christmas

We used to go to the national forest and cut down a small pine tree, it was a fun experience. We always had a hard time finding a pretty tree🤔. Never really made any ornaments. We do spend time celebrating the birth of Christ. I have noticed that not that many people really decorate their house much anymore. In a neighborhood of 1500 house only 100-200 people put up lights.

Fake tree, it's just easier, decorated with outdoor type ornaments like Santa on an ATV, moose, elk, guns, etc. Lots of ornaments came from Santa Claus House in North Pole, Alaska. Illinois has deer harvest pins for each kill, so we hang mine as ornaments as well. Archery pins are always green but firearm come in different colors each year. Each year more get added. Think I'm up to 65 now and some of my very first pins have been lost over the years. I made the star on top out of old arrows crossing them with the feathers showing. We call it the Redneck Tree.

We go to a tree farm and cut our own each year. I suspect the tree farm replanted them. My wife likes to collect and hang ornaments like I like to collect and hang antlers. Merry Christmas!
3C52120E-97C2-43D1-A188-DD8E5636D7BF.jpeg

F415FF2E-4A0F-4E5E-923E-0805F7CF8FB1.jpeg
Giving the little man a chore and some knowledge.

Last edited:
We used to cut our own tree,that ended back in the 70's when we were leaving Pine Az. and headed thru
Payson in a snowstorm.Ford Galaxie 500 station wagon,slid off the road with trailer in tow(tree in Trailer).
Had to leave trailer and tree.Dad drove to Phx.Threw us out in the yard and drove all the way back that night
to Payson ,chained up retrieved the trailer and came home.Ah,great memories...
Always use the same ornaments,now on fake tree.Outside lights-every year.We have brass cup hooks permanently on our
eves.I'm just tall enough to reach up and hook the string of lights without a ladder. 🎄 🔥

Christmas is a BIG deal at our home. This is the first time in a decade we haven't put up two trees, one off the entry foyer and the one in the gathering room. We implemented artificial prelit trees long ago. Wreaths, garland, and countless Santas festoon most of the house.

Cut our own tree off of our hunting property. We will likely plant one to replace it, but not until spring as it is under a foot of snow right now!

We re-use our ornaments, but most of them are stuff the kids have made over the years. My favorite is a bulb that my neighbor put pheasant feathers on to make a really pretty ornament.

Christmas is special. At almost 50 years old, I still get excited to see my name on a present!!!

1. Cut it every year, and take that very seriously. I've been known to scout trees all summer. And no I don't bother planting another, I view it as thinning to allow the others that are there more light to grow.
2. My kids seem to make one a year so that gets added. My wife and I get a new one every year as a token/memorial to another year together.
3. Nope. It's more about tradition than religion.
4. I finally got guilted into hanging some lights outside. But I'm keeping it to a single afternoon worth of effort. No more.

I'm current trying to germinate seeds from nobles and subalpine firs for planting around the house so we have more natural Christmas trees.

All hardwoods and cedars around here. We go to a tree farm.
20191208_171814.jpg

We'll probably go to an artificial tree eventually, but the kids really enjoy picking a live tree.

We use the same ornaments each hear, some bought and some hand-made.

We go to church regularly, we talk about Christ and the kids are aware of the meaning behind Christmas. We don't devote a lot of time on Christmas Day to talk about it though.

We don't do much to the outside of the house. My wife does seasonal decorating to our front porch year-round, so we do have a winter theme going but no lights.

Last edited:
Dad used to take us out to cut a real tree,with permit and tag.He would walk around looking way up
at the tops of big trees,while us kids are looking for a "Christmas Tree".THERE IT IS!He would cut
down a big Ol' tree and then cut off the top 8ft.!Merry Christmas...?One year a herd of 20-30 Cow Elk
ran willy-nilly right through our family of 6 people almost trampling us,I though it was cool!Everyone
else not so much. 🎄 🔥

Last edited:
mdeerjunkie. we also still celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday and is the one time of the year we try to get the family together. This gets harder and harder as I have children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. One of my granddaughters is with me now, as I will not be with the family this year and she is working with someone who will be with me at Christmas so I can see everybody and they can see me. This is a LONG way from a party line phone

DaveN. that is interesting and different. Do you remember the song the 12 Days of Christmas by Jeff Foxworthy ?

Newhunter, that works.

dirt clod, TWO Christmas stories not soon forgotten

harley, me to. Christmas, and decorating for it, was always a big deal to us. Your home and the decorations are beautiful

mnelknut, I love the Ornaments that my children, grand children and great grand children have made and have a few of them with me.

Neffa, good for you and that is important. We use to give several away each year, as they must be thinned out for sure. But we also replanted sometimes as well.

LCH, a tree farm day can be a wonderful family outing, good for you

Last edited:
Reactions: LCH
1. We usually purchase our tree from the local high school baseball team. They set up a tree lot each year as a fund raiser.
2. Our decorations are for the most part all hand made by our kids or ones that our friends have given us as gifts.
3. We usually attend a Christmas Eve night service at our church and then spend Christmas Day with the extended family. Recently, we have been spending our Christmas holiday at our family's cabin.
Three families in one cabin makes for a crowded but fun time in the mountains. Sledding and snowman building contests, as well as a little trap shooting for the older kids and adults make for a good time.
4. We usually have a minimal light display outside. A few strings of lights around the windows and a wreath on the door. Most of the decorations are inside the house. My wife and daughter love their decorations.

1. Cut it every year, and take that very seriously. I've been known to scout trees all summer
I’d like to buy a permit to cut a tree on national forest, but it’s kinda tough for eastern guys like me to make the drive and put some boots on the ground. I’ve been doing a ton of e-scouting but hoping somebody might have some local experience. Not looking for any honey holes, but rather some general starting points. I’d be happy to trade for some info on some good private land spots in WI I have access to. TIA.

I’d like to buy a permit to cut a tree on national forest, but it’s kinda tough for eastern guys like me to make the drive and put some boots on the ground. I’ve been doing a ton of e-scouting but hoping somebody might have some local experience. Not looking for any honey holes, but rather some general starting points. I’d be happy to trade for some info on some good private land spots in WI I have access to. TIA.
BLAHAHAHAHA! PM in bound!

We also go to candlelight services on Christmas Eve and gives thanks before our Christmas dinner

In El Paso growing up our trees came from a tree lot, but here in Alaska there are several nice tree farms that we go to for our tree. We also decorate outside but not on the house or barn, but on trees.

Nothing special on ornaments. When I was younger I use to put some of the ribbons I won at school, horse shows, 4-H, etc, and my parents humored me during that stage :)

sawtooth , we have done that. Gone to my grandparents cabin and it was always, as you said, crowded, but fun.

Dave, the song April referred to I have heard many times, as my grandfather loved that song. Your decorations sound very interesting

I can handle being in the pines outside, but a live tree messes with my asthma/allergies too much so we have an artificial pre-lit tree.

We bought ornaments the first year we put a tree up but we slowly are replacing them with homemade ornaments or things we have been given.

Christ is the center of Christmas for us. When I lived with my parents we always read the account of Jesus' birth on Christmas eve. My wife and I take time to read it on Christmas morning and will continue to do so should the Lord bless us with children.

I've resisted decorating the outside of the house other than some window treatments and a wreath, but I think we will put some lights on the front porch next year. Might even hang some since I have to get on the roof to blow leaves out of the gutter anyways.

I can handle being in the pines outside, but a live tree messes with my asthma/allergies too much so we have an artificial pre-lit tree.

We bought ornaments the first year we put a tree up but we slowly are replacing them with homemade ornaments or things we have been given.

Christ is the center of Christmas for us. When I lived with my parents we always read the account of Jesus' birth on Christmas eve. My wife and I take time to read it on Christmas morning and will continue to do so should the Lord bless us with children.

I've resisted decorating the outside of the house other than some window treatments and a wreath, but I think we will put some lights on the front porch next year. Might even hang some since I have to get on the roof to blow leaves out of the gutter anyways.
np307 Falling off a ladder or off the roof is a Christmas tradition...Right?Ha!.Ha!
No snow here to fall into so picking cactus needles out of your hiney is a tradition also. :LOL: 🎄🔥

Europe, yes I know the song! Wish I had a Mustang GT! I saw Jeff along with Larry the Cable Guy when they performed nearby a few years ago. Good stuff!

I'll try to work on a picture or two of the tree so you can see what I'm talking about.

We exchange a gift or two but Christmas is more about food for us. We try to save something good for Christmas. This year it will be Dall Sheep, with a little wine of course. We decorate only inside and sparingly . We do not attend any organized religious meetings but we are Christians and do give thanks with our meals. We actually always buy a Christmas gift for each of our dogs. And then Boxing day

I hope your dog gets a special treat on Christmas Brent. Cool pic

We used to cut our tree but now go the prelit fake route. My neighborhood goes all out decorating outside, so much so that there is a Christmas trolley that takes customers to see it so I kind of get roped in to not be the local pariah. And we re-use ornaments, most of which are from big box stores but some sentimental ones too. And we go to Christmas Eve church and Christmas Day is more about fun and relaxing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back