MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Christensen Arms, what's the verdict?

I have (2) CA Mesa's. One in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in .300 Win Mag. I love both. the 300WM has taken (2) Elk and a bison. I practice with one of them almost every weekend. One thing I have learned: they hate shooting clean. After I clean them I have some "cheap" S&B rounds that I shoot 5 rounds through them. I let the cool all the way down and they are both are back to sub-MOA groupings.

I've got their Ridgeline Ti in 6.5PRC and have been really happy with it. Carries way better than the Weatherby ultralight 30-06 that I had been using. Running a suppressor now and it shoots really well, even with factory ammo once I found the right ones for it.

I’ve got a Mesa in 28 Nosler and it shoots really well. Tookmydesertsheepwith it this year. Smoking deal for $956 OTD about two years ago

I just ordered one in 300 PRC. I hope it lives up to the price tag.

What's your verdict? Did you get the Mesa after? I'm looking at the Mesa fft in 300 prc as well. Have two friends that purchased the Ridgeline in 300prc and both seem to shoot really well.

I have a friend that bought a Ridgeline in 300 WM. He would shoot three shot groups and the third casing was a bear to eject. It finally got to where a spent cartridge got stuck in the chamber. He finally got the case ejected and traded it right away.

What's your verdict? Did you get the Mesa after? I'm looking at the Mesa fft in 300 prc as well. Have two friends that purchased the Ridgeline in 300prc and both seem to shoot really well.
I’m very pleased, the gun shoots better than I can hold.

Reactions: BRI
I've heard of way too many issues and mixed reviews for an expensive rifle like that. The local box store used racks always seem filled with them. They do seem like nice guns from the ones i have seen, shot, and been around. Fierce, or a more premium line of firearms from another manufacturer would be my choice... Theres just too many good guns around to leave even messing with a bad one to chance. Tikka, Howa, Bergera, Savage, Sako, etc.

Glad to hear it shoots. My Ridgeline 300wsm has a little bit of a stiff bolt but shoots fantastic. 150gr TSX handloads at 3175fps. It’s been bad medicine on all the whitetails I have pointed it at.

My only experience with one is a 300 wm with a carbon barrel that a buddy has. It's been a bit of a high maintenance problem child. I believe it had chamber issues and the bedding was pretty rough. After some work it's doing fine now.

A theme that seems to be emerging is that there is a higher number of lemons with carbon barrels. My buddy will replace the carbon barrel on his with a steel barrel when it's done.

It's a little hard for me to see value in a carbon wrap these days when you can get a tapered barrel profiled with a flare and threads for suppressor use.
What is supposed to be the purpose/advantage of a carbon wrap?

They look good for the gram!

It's also a way to keep more diameter at the muzzle for a shoulder for muzzle devices without the weight of that diameter of steel.

Some people argue that it dissipates heat faster than the same diameter of steel, but I'm a little skeptical of that argument.

It's also a way to keep more diameter at the muzzle for a shoulder for muzzle devices without the weight of that diameter of steel.

Some people argue that it dissipates heat faster than the same diameter of steel, but I'm a little skeptical of that argument.
Does it feel hot to the touch after firing a few rounds?

I picked up a Scheels exclusive West River Mesa in 6.5 prc recently. Haven't fired it much but it's throwing tight groups with 127 Barnes lrx and Hornady 130 cx bullets.The quality control seems pretty solid on it. I think it'll be my new deer rifle from now on.

Attachments

• received_232015323294746.jpeg
    received_232015323294746.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 24
  • received_548280747507290.jpeg
    received_548280747507290.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 24

The bores heat up a lot faster and cool faster than a similar diameter steel barrel. But the same diameter steel is kind of a worthless comparison because nobody is choosing between a 6#+ steel barrel and a 2.5-3.5# carbon barrel.

My carbon barrels don’t seem to show poi shifts much like my (equal weight rifle) pencil thin rifle barrels after a few shots. Makes load development less time consuming at a minimum.

Important feature in a hunting rifle. mtmuley

Not something I’ve utilized while hunting, but at the range. I like my carbon barrels, the people running suppressor covers on their hunting rifles while hunting got me scratching my head though.

My Christensen rl in 7rm shoots awesome, I haven’t had any problems but I bought it back when they were known for making great rifles, when the ridglines first came out. That said, just had a buddy send me a picture of some factory Hornady brass shot through a brand new high end Christensen, split case mouths. He was asking if I think it’s the gun or the brass? Based on word on the street I’d bet it’s the gun.

Last edited:
I’ve got the Scheels exclusive CA West River Mesa and it drives tacks, no issues with it. My dad has the CA Ridgeline Scout, sweet little rifle, drives tacks and super light weight, I killed a whitetail doe with it this fall. Buddy of mine who is a big gun guy has two CA Mesa in 6.5PRC and 6.5CM, never had an issue, another buddy has one in the .300 win mag and one in the 6.5CM, no issues, his brother has one in the .300PRC, no issues. Another buddy has one in 6.5PRC, no issues. Another buddy has one in 6.5CM, no issues.

I’ve read about all the issues people supposedly have and QC concerns, but the first hand experience between me and my family and friends hasn’t shown any issues in my circle. When I dialed in the Ridgeline Scout, I had one shot to get on paper at 100 and then had 5 rounds touch, 2 in the same hole. Couldn’t believe it with that 16” barrel.
IMG_4174.jpeg

I have been looking everywhere for a Mesa fft 280AI. Nobody has one in stock. 2 of the stores wasnt restocking them. So i didnt know if they had issues with that model. I have looking at
Mesa fft
Xbolt Speed
Weatherby 307 and mark 5 hunter.
Savage ultralite.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back