Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Christensen Arms, what's the verdict?

Mako

Contemplating a CA Mesa FFT. I remember reading a lot about QC issues for CA rifles, mainly after they started becoming more popular and ramping up production, and mainly regarding their CF wrapped barrels. I think that hiccups are expected with any manufacturer as demand for their product increases and they have to start banging them out at a rate and volume much higher than they are used to until they settle down into thier new "groove."

Anyway, anyone buy one recently? Are you pleased with its performance?

Contemplating a CA Mesa FFT. I remember reading a lot about QC issues for CA rifles, mainly after they started becoming more popular and ramping up production, and mainly regarding their CF wrapped barrels. I think that hiccups are expected with any manufacturer as demand for their product increases and they have to start banging them out at a rate and volume much higher than they are used to until they settle down into thier new "groove."

Anyway, anyone buy one recently? Are you pleased with its performance?
My only experience with one is a 300 wm with a carbon barrel that a buddy has. It's been a bit of a high maintenance problem child. I believe it had chamber issues and the bedding was pretty rough. After some work it's doing fine now.

A theme that seems to be emerging is that there is a higher number of lemons with carbon barrels. My buddy will replace the carbon barrel on his with a steel barrel when it's done.

It's a little hard for me to see value in a carbon wrap these days when you can get a tapered barrel profiled with a flare and threads for suppressor use.

We have a Ridgeline and a Mesa in the family. Mesa is fairly new and looks to be a shooter. The Ridgeline has been through a couple seasons and is exceptional. Accuracy has been great for an off the rack rifle.
I do feel like I got lucky because you will hear plenty of stories like the one above with issues with the rifles and/or customer service.

It's a little hard for me to see value in a carbon wrap these days when you can get a tapered barrel profiled with a flare and threads for suppressor use.
I don't think it is a function thing for many folks, people simply like the looks of it being kinda 'extreme'.

I have two Mesa's, a 7mm rem mag and 7mm08. Both shoot well with Barnes factory ammo. The mag has a bit of a sticky bolt, which is apparently due to tight tolerances. Simply cleaning it helped a bit. The 7mm08's bolt is kinda sticky but not bad. They're both pretty solid, although I don't know if the price differential over a standard Rem 700 is worth it. You could get a stainless 700, a triggertech trigger and a new stock for about the same price. Something to think about.

My only experience is with a mesa fft in 6.5 prc. Shot great with the factory eldx and eldm, no hiccups at all in feeding or stiff bolt. I don’t shoot anything with a brake and the prc wasn’t bad but I can see where a bigger cartridge would be a handful in that rifle.

I don't think it is a function thing for many folks, people simply like the looks of it being kinda 'extreme'.

I have two Mesa's, a 7mm rem mag and 7mm08. Both shoot well with Barnes factory ammo. The mag has a bit of a sticky bolt, which is apparently due to tight tolerances. Simply cleaning it helped a bit. The 7mm08's bolt is kinda sticky but not bad. They're both pretty solid, although I don't know if the price differential over a standard Rem 700 is worth it. You could get a stainless 700, a triggertech trigger and a new stock for about the same price. Something to think about.
Agree with carbon wraps often being an aesthetic choice.

I'd go Tikka T3X over the Remington.

I will says that the only the Savage straight pulls and Mossberg Patriots come back to the shop at similar rates to Christensens. CPO bought a Ridgeline a couple of years ago and it was an absolute shit show. Worse than the problems was the unforgivably bad service.... they could not have cared less that $2000 rifle wouldn't shoot better than 3" groups no matter the ammo. After 4 months of BS he traded it in on a Tikka and hasn't looked back. I got one back that came from the factory with a broken FIRING PIN FFS. For the price (or less) there are 4 other choices in the shop I would pick over them......for MY money it goes in this order 1) Seekins 2) Tikka 3a) Bergara 3b) Browning. My 2 cents.....

I have a CA Ridgeline in .300 wsm. It shoots the factory Hornady 200 grain Precision Hunter sub moa. Hornady has been so busy promoting and producing their PRC products that they won’t or haven’t made any 300 WSM in at least 3 years.
It took me a bit to develop a handload for the CA Ridgeline but it now shoots the 168 grain Barnes ttsx with H4350 at moa, and 3100 fps.

Had a Christiansen MPR damn near wore it out trying to get it to shoot. Finally got it to settle down to where it shot pretty good. Most days it out shot my Winchester 73 and ran neck and neck with my 45/70 guide gun. On an average day my Ruger 10/22 shot better groups. Gave it away on Gunbroker.

Been great in my experience. I have loaded for 2 ridgeline 7mags, a ridgeline 6.5 PRC and a Ridgeline 22-250 and all have been very easy to load for and had no issues getting a 1/2 inch group out of all of them.

I have a Mesa in .308 Win and it seems to be fine. Shoots nice, handles well. If I had to complain about something it would be the ejection port has a really sharp machined edge on it that has cut my finger while loading/unloading from the bench.

The only thing I've shot out of it so far is Nosler BT 165gr and it shot them into 1" at 100. I've shot one deer, a WT doe at 30 yards and she dropped at the shot. So, not a lot of field experience to report.

I'd buy another...and would like to in 7-08.

A friend of mine has a mesa 7mm, it shoots dinner plate size groups at 100yds. Fit/finish felt the same as my Remington 700 XCR2. Since his was in their lower end, maybe that's why it's mediocre?!

I'm hoping his isn't a good representation of their brand. If this was common, I'd pick up a new Remington and throw parts at it before I'd drop $1500-2k on a CA rifle.

I was really fascinated by the Christensen when I first saw it but after seeing the price and comparing it to the Browning Hells Canyon line up I could never justify it. The browning was a touch heavier (not much) but less than half the price of the Christensen. Never had any poor experiences with the Browning's.

I was interested in the same Christiansen model when I was looking for a new larger caliber rifle earlier this year then I actually put my hands on it and wasn't impressed. I'm big on fit, feel and handling before I even bother to shoot it and it just didn't meet my requirements

My son has a Mesa in 7mm-08 that consistently shoots MOA or a little better with factory ammo. Seems to be a nice rifle to me. I paid less than $1,200 for it. Not a lot of options in left hand rifles and it was the winner on our search. No complaints on it at all.

I had my 7mm 08 Mesa out this weekend confirming my zero before the NM antelope/elk trip. It did the usual under moa group with hand loaded 120 grain Barnes ttsx. Love that little gun it just fits me well.

My only experience with one is a 300 wm with a carbon barrel that a buddy has. It's been a bit of a high maintenance problem child. I believe it had chamber issues and the bedding was pretty rough. After some work it's doing fine now.

A theme that seems to be emerging is that there is a higher number of lemons with carbon barrels. My buddy will replace the carbon barrel on his with a steel barrel when it's done.

@woods89 that has been similar to my experience as well. Also with a 300 win mag.

Back