Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Christensen Arms Mesa

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I am looking at buying myself a mountain rifle. I shoot left handed so, my options are more limited. I have pretty much decided on the Christensen Arms Mesa Left Hand. I have looked at the Weatherby Mark V Weathermark & Accumark, I have also looked at the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon. The Mesa is right at the top of my spending limit & weights less than the Mark V & X-Bolt. But, before I buy one I wanted to ask how you guys feel about them from personal experience and from others you may know experiences. Thank you for all the knowledge and wisdom. Have a great one and Happy New Year!

Daniel

I have had tremendous success with Browning X Bolts. It is what I have shot all my life. Bought my first one in 1985, and most recently bought the X Bolt LR Max last month. I have had zero problems with any of them. I think if I am counting right, I have bought 1 A-Bolt, and 7 X-bolts over the years. Feel free to PM if you wish. No complaints with any Brownings at all. My Hells Canyon 7mm shot amazing.

You do realize that there are lighter Mark Vs than the Weathermark & Accumark, right?

I'm on the waiting list at my local Weatherby dealer for the Mark V Hunter in 280AI.
Slightly lighter than the Mesa at 6.1lb.

They had a Backcountry for $1,990 in the 6.5 RPM.
So, yeah more money, but way lighter.

Heck, at the Mesa's 6.5lb start weight, a Savage Axis weighs less.

Last edited:
You do realize that there are lighter Mark Vs than the Weathermark & Accumark, right?

I'm on the waiting list at my local Weatherby dealer for the Mark V Hunter in 280AI.
Slightly lighter than the Mesa at 6.1lb.

They had a Backcountry for $1,990 in the 6.5 RPM.
So, yeah more money, but way lighter.

Heck, at the Mesa's 6.5lb start weight, a Savage Axis weighs less.
Does Weatherby make those lighter models in left hand? That is mainly my problem is that I shoot left handed. So, that is why I have a harder time finding lighter rifles. Thank you for the info!

Yeah,
If i were a 6.5mm guy, i'd have jumped all over that one!

Had it been 280AI, i'd have gladly handed over my credit card. :D

I did do a write up on the Mark V Hunter.

And as @wnc2500 said, the Brownings are really nice!
Shot One several years ago.
If i remember correctly it was an A Bolt, White Gold Medalion REMF in 7mm Rem Mag.
A little heavy for my wanting to carry it far. But man that 26" barrel made the chrono sing!

Pretty Sweet, and a good price for a Mark V.

I looked and handled Backcountry. Did not like. In laws have X bolts i did not like either. I bought Mesa titanium in 7mm.
Love it. Shoots great for me with my loads. Just my experience and preferences

I looked and handled Backcountry. Did not like. In laws have X bolts i did not like either. I bought Mesa titanium in 7mm.
Yup, everyone is different.

Otherwise, we'd all be driving the same make/model of car.

Thanks for your post!

Have you checked out a Tikka Superlite? Same weight, a couple of hundred less and impeccable accuracy. It is pretty obvious I am a Tikka guy after buying my Roughtech (which is only 7lbs itself). But for reference, I have shot and had my pick of the brands we carry in the shop and went with the Tikka. In the Mesa price range the other contenders would be Bergara, Browning, the Savage Ultralite. I would take the Mesa over the Savage and the Bergaras (weight) but the Browning X Bolt would be my second choice. I have no issues with the CA guns but the only ones I found to be "premium" in performance to my standards were the MPRs. Just my 2 cents.

Savage, Tikka, and the Mesa are pretty much your only option for left handed rifles in that price range. I'm a fellow lefty, it sucks rifle shopping. What caliber are you looking for? The Mesa, in the past only came in standard short action calibers, so it was pretty limited. I see they have a lot more calibers now. I've handled a few mesa rifles, seemed nice enough, but I wasn't blown away compared to the Tikka for the price difference. Tikka has a removable mag which limits cartridge length and their twist rates suck for some calibers. Savage is just kinda crude. That said my left handed rifles are a Tikka and a Savage storm, they are both good rifles. The Tikka is my mountain rifle, it's about a pound lighter. If the Mesa is at the top of your budget, do you have a good scope or do you have a budget for a scope? Personally, I would buy the Tikka and spend the difference on better glass.

Last edited:
Does Weatherby make those lighter models in left hand? That is mainly my problem is that I shoot left handed. So, that is why I have a harder time finding lighter rifles. Thank you for the info!
I share your left hand woes. Unless there has been a recent change, Weatherby does not offer the lighter, 6-lug action in a left hand version.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back