Caribou Gear Tarp

Christensen Arms Mesa

Savage, Tikka, and the Mesa are pretty much your only option for left handed rifles in that price range. I'm a fellow lefty, it sucks rifle shopping. What caliber are you looking for? The Mesa, in the past only came in standard short action calibers, so it was pretty limited. I see they have a lot more calibers now. I've handled a few mesa rifles, seemed nice enough, but I wasn't blown away compared to the Tikka for the price difference. Tikka has a removable mag which limits cartridge length and their twist rates suck for some calibers. Savage is just kinda crude. That said my left handed rifles are a Tikka and a Savage storm, they are both good rifles. The Tikka is my mountain rifle, it's about a pound lighter. If the Mesa is at the top of your budget, do you have a good scope or do you have a budget for a scope? Personally, I would buy the Tikka and spend the difference on better glass.
Good advice, thank you for the knowledge!

Hello,
I am looking at buying myself a mountain rifle. I shoot left handed so, my options are more limited. I have pretty much decided on the Christensen Arms Mesa Left Hand. I have looked at the Weatherby Mark V Weathermark & Accumark, I have also looked at the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon. The Mesa is right at the top of my spending limit & weights less than the Mark V & X-Bolt. But, before I buy one I wanted to ask how you guys feel about them from personal experience and from others you may know experiences. Thank you for all the knowledge and wisdom. Have a great one and Happy New Year!

Daniel

Well, I just bought my second one if that answers any of your questions. :D

I have a .308 Win that I haven't loaded for yet but it shoots factory Win and Federal ammo in 150 gr less than MOA at 100. The other one is a 6.5cm west river stock. Haven't played with it at all yet.

Are you sure they're lighter than an X-bolt Hell's Canyon?

And you're comparing apples to Buick Regals.
True...

But if i saw someone selling primers out of the back of their van, i'd be able to buy them with the $700 i saved.

Just so we are straight...
We are talking Grandma's Regal?
Not a Regal Grand National, right?

The Hurst Olds were pretty BA too!!

I have a Mesa in 7mm. Nice rifle. Shoots great. Killed my deer and 2 elk this year. I bought the scheels version so its color scheme is a little different. I do like the rifle though.

To me it compares more with my Weatherby Vanguard’s then to my Mark 5. The Mark v is just so much smoother in its action. Same trigger though.

True...

But if i saw someone selling primers out of the back of their van, i'd be able to buy them with the $700 i saved.

Just so we are straight...
We are talking Grandma's Regal?
Not a Regal Grand National, right?

The Hurst Olds were pretty BA too!!

Like a mid 90’s regal with a 2.8l. Lol not the cool ones

Have you checked out a Tikka Superlite? Same weight, a couple of hundred less and impeccable accuracy. It is pretty obvious I am a Tikka guy after buying my Roughtech (which is only 7lbs itself). But for reference, I have shot and had my pick of the brands we carry in the shop and went with the Tikka. In the Mesa price range the other contenders would be Bergara, Browning, the Savage Ultralite. I would take the Mesa over the Savage and the Bergaras (weight) but the Browning X Bolt would be my second choice. I have no issues with the CA guns but the only ones I found to be "premium" in performance to my standards were the MPRs. Just my 2 cents.
I concur. I just bought a tikka stainless superlight in 7mm rem mag. Really great rifle. Light, accurate, great trigger, smooth action, surprisingly stiff polymer stock. Hard to beat for the price. Don't know what they have in left hand though.

Alright, I just ordered a Mesa in 7mm Rem Mag from my local gun shop. Should be here next week sometime. Pretty excited as this is the first rifle I've spent over a grand on and I've been lusting after for some time. Anyway, Christensen recommends a 50 round barrel break in, which seems kind of absurd. Did any of you Mesa owners follow this? I'm thinking I'll do some sort of abbreviated break in (like 20 rounds) unless I get some info that it is absolutely necessary. Thanks!

I just assume that full accuracy is expected after 50 rnds. I normally clean pretty frequently for the first 30 rnds. I'm not an expert by a long shot.

Have one coming in 300 win mag. Should be here end of this week or beginning of next

I went with a mesa in 7 mag because I had a hard time find a left handed rifle. It’s a shooter; since I got mine my buddy has got a left handed mesa on 300 mag and it can shoot too. My only regret is they don’t make a left handed rifle in 280AI.

Attachments

• 50C7FC7F-854C-4F32-BEA7-C44766AEBCB3.jpeg
    50C7FC7F-854C-4F32-BEA7-C44766AEBCB3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
I concur. I just bought a tikka stainless superlight in 7mm rem mag. Really great rifle. Light, accurate, great trigger, smooth action, surprisingly stiff polymer stock. Hard to beat for the price. Don't know what they have in left hand though.
Ditto, Tikka. Stainless also. Action is so smooth, for the price can't be beat.

The only negative about a tikka to me is the magazine oal issues with long action cartridges
Yeah, but the MTN Tactical and HCA billet mags remedy that. You can also get an AICS bottom metal and really remedy that.

Yeah, but the MTN Tactical and HCA billet mags remedy that. You can also get an AICS bottom metal and really remedy that.

What length does the mtn tactical and hca get you to? I’m not a fan of AICS mags setup but you are right it works

I bought a Mesa in 7mag last fall but have yet to shoot a full box of ammo through it because I hadn’t settled on a optic. I did a quick zero with a cheap spare scope I had and it seemed to group well but I entirely missed a good deer with it a month later. I like the rifle though and blame the cheap scope.

The Norma rounds I’ve shot through it do seem to stick in the chamber a bit.

I’ve finally decided on a optic and was about to order one from schmalts after a few pm’s yesterday morning until my mower died and my oven shots sparks and went tits up. I’m trying to repair both but it’s not looking promising.

I need to get this rifle set up and wrung out before my elk hunt this year.

I’ve finally decided on a optic and was about to order one from schmalts after a few pm’s yesterday morning until my mower died and my oven shots sparks and went tits up. I’m trying to repair both but it’s not looking promising.
Meh, mower and oven are overrated. Let them collect dust and get yourself a nice scope!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back