Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Choosing BP bullet for CO ?

Thanks for advice. I like my factory front bead. Its very similiar to what you describe, not very thick. I am gonna find a "back up" front sight to bring on my elk trip though. In case of breakage. Or maybe I could just bring some extra fiber optic cable.

Had my 1st short shooting session this week w the "No Excuses". So far so good. At 72 yds I got 2" groups w a peep sight. I did have 2 flyers land @ 8" away, one of them I called. I only had time to shoot 100 gr of Pryodex P w 777 209 primers. The owner of "No Excuses" recommended this charge. Looking forward to trying other charge loads & my 777 ffg. Do diff brands of 209 primers make a difference? I am getting low on the 777 primers but have some Remington Kleanbore primers.

I had a fun shooting session today. Shooting the 460 gr "No Excuses" w a peep sight I started w 100 gr Pyro-P. 9" group. I was shocked, cause I shoot 3 inche group w this charge 2 weeks ago at 72 yds. Next I tried 90 gr Pryo-P...6"group. Next, 90 gr 777 ffg, 6" group. I was alittle dissapointed, but figured it was good enough for elk under 100 yds. For the heck it, I tried 85 gr 777 ffg, cause the owners manual for my Huntsman recommended 85 gr for heavy conicals. Awsome! 3" group, although I did have 2 flyers land @ 7'" out, could be me. The 5 shot group was a strange pattern though. 2 tight hits, than 2 tight hits 3 inches away, and a another a diferent direction. Last I tried 85 gr Pryo-P. Amazing! 2" clean 5 shot group, very evenly printed, no flyers. And I'm very close to bullseye w this load. Very satisfied. I'm gonna try this load on deer this fall to build my conifidence for my elk hunt next year. Thanks for all the tips!

Well, I have somewhat a happy ending to a summer spent at the range w my bp gun. I'm trying to post some pics from my camera, but it's not working. I'll keep trying. I had my first successful trial of my elk load on sun Oct 2nd on a WY antelope buck. I hit him perfect from 120 yds w a peep sight. He took @ 10 steps & dropped. I missed him going down because I was reloading cause I thought I had missed. What I didnt realize was that the 460 gr bullet threw up dirt after it passed thru the buck. I'm very happy. Hope to post a pic when I figure this out. At least I aspire to being a better hunter than computer user! Haha

Finally figured out how upload pics !!!!!

Attachments

• DSCI0252 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCI0252 (1024x768).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 75
Nice buck!

Question for you on the peep sight. Did you replace the rear sight only or both front and rear?

I replaced the rear only. I like the brightness of the fiber optic front. I was told by a CO guide that fiber optic is ok in CO. I like the brightness for hunting back home in the thick woods here in MN. I did have to slide the rear peep adjustment way forward for these very heavy conicals. A little farther than I'd like, but it's solid, and hasn't moved on my yet, even after a week of bouncing along WY ranch roads! I'm definitely gonna bring extra fiber optic thread when I pack into the wilderness area in CO.

Last edited:
Streamer...Go for it, you will be hooked! Antelope are alot easier than other western game. It makes for a very relaxed, enjoyable hunt. Sometimes I take my deer hunting too seriously, & I forget to have fun. Plus, its a nice, early season primer for other hunts.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back