Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Check your D-loops

Busyfarmin

Was shooting my bow this evening and the
D-loop broke while drawing back. I didn't notice any evidence of excessive wear before but also haven't looked closely. Not exactly sure what happened since it happened so fast but my neck hurts like crazy and is super stiff also a rogue arrow went down range that I will have to look for tomorrow. If you haven't looked yours over closely lately do yourself a favor and give it an inspection.

Attachments

• 20210711_211308.jpg
    20210711_211308.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
Ouch. Just had new strings and d loop out on mine. But this is a good PSA for sure.

I really neglected my last bow, but it was bulletproof. This new bowtech is much better shooter, but it’s not quite as rugged as the last one. I’ve replaced limbs twice (under warranty) and I had a module come loose a few weeks ago. Ended up using a little locktite to keep the Allen screws from backing out again.

That's on my mind every time I draw back so I just got my bow back from TNT Archery in St. George. Terry assures me all is well. I bought some new arrows and broad heads as a "thank you ".

Man that's a darn good way to break a nose. Thanks for the reminder. I will be looking at mine.

BigBear, how many arrows and/or seasons on that D-loop before it broke? I was expecting to see the break right where your release attaches, but it looks much closer to the string. Makes me think it was damaged during installation.

BigBear, how many arrows and/or seasons on that D-loop before it broke? I was expecting to see the break right where your release attaches, but it looks much closer to the string. Makes me think it was damaged during installation.
I purchased the bow this year from local shop but it was it was used 1 season before I bought it. I have been shooting probably a 100 or so arrows a week for the past four weeks or so.

Was shooting my bow this evening and the
D-loop broke while drawing back. I didn't notice any evidence of excessive wear before but also haven't looked closely. Not exactly sure what happened since it happened so fast but my neck hurts like crazy and is super stiff also a rogue arrow went down range that I will have to look for tomorrow. If you haven't looked yours over closely lately do yourself a favor and give it an inspection.
Thats crazy - I need to check my strings and cams more regularly. I haven't had that particularly happen but i had an older 'beginner' release that started failing 1 of 7 to 10 pulls and I was a mess trying to pull back cause I kept punching myself. Finally realized I was being dumb and got a nice release. But those accidental shots get in your head a bit.
Hope everything was safe!

I purchased the bow this year from local shop but it was it was used 1 season before I bought it. I have been shooting probably a 100 or so arrows a week for the past four weeks or so.
Thanks for the follow-up. I have definitely had strings (and D-loops) for more than a year...more like five...without any problems. So, I think either the previous user nicked it with a broadhead or something or it was defective when installed. Good reminder to take a look at everything (strings, loops, cams, arrows...) once in a while - might prevent something similar. Thanks for sharing.

I had that happen last year. Lucky mine snapped right after putting tension on the d loop though. Checking the d loop with every arrow is now engrained in my head. Bought replacement string and will probably replace it again this year shortly before hunting season just to be safe.

I had that happen last year. Lucky mine snapped right after putting tension on the d loop though. Checking the d loop with every arrow is now engrained in my head. Bought replacement string and will probably replace it again this year shortly before hunting season just to be safe.
Hmmm, I don't know if that's the answer either. If the string was damaged/flawed when installed, installing new ones more often actually increases the chance of failure. I've had D-loops for 5+ yrs with no issues. I don't shoot nearly as much as some other guys, so I'm not stressing the string that much. So, whatever makes you feel confident is what you should do.

If a loop doesn't outlive the string there are issues that need to be addressed.
Use BCY 23, and polish the release hook.

Happened to me a few weeks ago.. not sure if it was the material or my cheap release that caused excessive wear. Now I feel like I am worried about it with every shot. Should probably invest in better dloop material and a release.

I knew it was on the edge I ignored your advise and I just took a solid right to the right eye.
Dangit that sucks! I have unfortunately only been able to shoot mine once since mine broke but i noticed myself paying more attention to my draw then normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back