MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cheaper Can Be Better

OriginalOscar

Getting ready for elk hunt next week I've been shooting a lot. Burning $20 ammo box after box. Things are grouping well and feeling good.

Bought a box of Federal Premium with Nosler Partition. All over the target!

Expensive isn't always better.

I've been doing the same with a new .243 I want to use on antelope this year. My best group so far,1 MOA, was with Fusions, thanks to Cushman's advice. Next best at 1.5 MOA was $12 a box Herters made by Sellier&Bellott. Core-lokts and Speer Nitrex would not group consistently for me. I'll be trying 120gr Fusions in my 7/08 next.

I shoot Winchester Power Max ($21 for 30/06) and they shoot a whole lot better than Federal trophy bonded tips that cost twice as much. Last year they put down my elk just fine

I watched a big bull take 7 cheap thin jacket 150gr 3006 bullets over the span of 30min before succumbing to his wounds.
Upon autopsy 4 of them were what I would call a perfect shot including the first one he took. The shooter spent the whole 30min saying "I don't understand these bullets were super accurate all summer"
That bull was a mess. I've seen the same out of my 300win mag with 190gr vld burger makers when shot at max load within 100yards.

Try monos or accubonds. Watch out for the tips coming out of the bad batch of accubonds that are out.

Pretty much why I handload. Any bullet in any rifle I want. No need to hope a factory load will shoot. As far as cheaper working, yeah, in some cases. But I don't want to have to worry about it. mtmuley

Here's a pic, although not a good one of a 150 grain Core-lokt 30-06 bullet that traveled through a broadside bull at about 200 yards. The jacket peeled back about half way and the bullet came to rest against the farside hide after going through the shoulder. I have never had a core-lokt bullet fail in over 40 years of hunting. They are hard to beat for ammo that only costs about $28 a box.http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• 0906161834-00.jpg
    0906161834-00.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 188
Here's a pic, although not a good one of a 150 grain Core-lokt 30-06 bullet that traveled through a broadside bull at about 200 yards. The jacket peeled back about half way and the bullet came to rest against the farside hide after going through the shoulder. I have never had a core-lokt bullet fail in over 40 years of hunting. They are hard to beat for ammo that only costs about $28 a box.http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/images/attach/jpg.gif

Same exact experience here. Although only 20 years for me, not 40. Butte Wal-Mart had the CoreLokt 150 grain for $18/ box today.

A few sessions with factory ammo would pay for a beginner handloading set up. Doing this, I've yet to fail to get the bullet of my choice to shoot acceptably.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back