Cheap vs expensive

farmerboy1381

I have shot Beman ICS arrows for many years now. I just bought more and got a dozen for cheaper than half dozen of some others. I know thinner arrows make a difference in penetration, but I have never had a problem with that at all. My main question is how much difference does the tighter tolerances of more expensive arrows make? I know companies make a big thing about their straightness tolerances, how much is marketing? My Bemans I believe are .006 do you think I would see a benefit at 60 yards by going to a straighter arrow? Thanks.

IMO what matters is how the finished arrow shoots, cheap, expensive, tight tolerance or no. I have no issue buying arrows on the cheaper end and then tuning bare shaft, nock, and insert. I'll get a couple less than optimal in the bunch and those get weeded out. I would do the same process for more expensive shafts, and maybe I'd end up weeding out an arrow or two less, who knows.

There's a really good video by gold tip showing how to spin and cut your arrows to maximize their quality. Long story short, some arrows are a lot more bent on one side of the shaft than the other, and cutting more off that side will get you a much straighter shaft.

Most people have someone else cut them, and most places take an even amount off each side of each arrow so they all look the same, but that's not the best way to do it.

With a hooter shooter you can take a .001 arrow and a .006 arrow and shoot them at 80 yards. The tighter tolerances will group better. Enough to knock your arrow out of the X. It makes a difference for a tournament shooter but for an average hunter you will most likely never notice. But if you cut the arrows from both ends instead of one you will noticably "straighten" the shaft. Especially if you have shorter arrows. Remember, your straightness rating is the measurement of the straightest 28" section of the arrow not necessarily the entire arrow. I think that is why the straighter arrows will give you a better straightness over the entire length of the shaft and will take less work to make the absolute best arrow.

Also I'm not a huge believer in a skinny shaft penetrating an insane amount more. It might penetrate better through plywood and metal barrels but animals are different. But there is a huge advantage to skinny arrows in a cross wind. You will get noticably less drift. But the downfall to 4mm and even 5mm shafts are the components just aren't as durable as 6mm and 6.5mm(standard) shafts although they can be built adequately enough for any hunting situation.

So to sum up, yes there is a difference. But will most hunters ever notice? Not really. Especially if you keep shots 40 and under. But you will never regret getting the highest tolerance equipment you can afford or feel comfortable buying.

I dont know how much difference in cheaper arrows vs more expensive but I do believe in tuning every arrow buy cutting and squaring inserts and knocks also I buy just the shafts and fletch em myself it only takes a few min and saves about 45% of the cost

I've used Cabelas Carbon Hunters for years. They have a higher straightness coefficient than the arrows I started out with and you don't have to feed your kids ramen to afford them.

Over the years, I don't think I've ever had to cull an arrow that wasn't damaged by me while shooting. I haven't got into cutting both ends off of them either.

The only thing I accomplished by buying more expensive arrows is having less money to spend on other gear.

Straightness isn't the problem, it's dynamic spine. Good arrows are spined evenly all the way around, others are in one spot. Which is why guys bare shaft every arrow and turn nocks till they all tear the same.

I don't think it matters a ton at short to medium distances 20-40 yds.... I do think arrow consistancy/quaility matters more the further you move out.... Several of my friends love messing around at 70-100 yards and arrows do seem to group more consistantly at distance... For hunting though, to me, a micro diamter arrow is more important that arrow 'specs/straigtness' - I feel the pentration and wind drift differences are signifcant... For example, I'd take a standard Gold Tip Pierce over a 'Pro' standard diamter GT Hunter arrow every day and twice on Sunday :)

I have been shooting the Beman ICS arrows for years, and yes they are less expensive than some other brands. However, I've never had an issue and get great accuracy out to 60 yards, which is the max range I'll shoot to, and never had issues with penetration either. I don't think you'll go wrong with them. Good luck.

Back