Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cheap Great rifles

elkhnter

Won this Browning AB3 at a RMEF banquet a couple years ago. Figured I dump it quick, it’s a $550 rifle.
Ended up liking the feel of it, put a new trigger spring in it, dropped a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 in Talley mounts on it.
Grabbed some 300 WM brass and worked up a 180 Accubond load for it.
Come to find out, it’s a shooter. Stays right at .75”!
For a rifle I didn’t think I’d keep, I’ve grown rather fond of it.
Got me thinking, anyone else have a under $1,000 setup they love that punches above its weight class?074B758C-2F84-48D1-B2D3-5074D83D2C40.jpeg

I've had a good number of well under 1" rifles from a number of different makers and paid under $500 for all but one, a mod 70 featherweight was about $750. In my experience an inexpensive rifle does not mean it won't shoot. Savage made quite a rep for accuracy with that old, I think, mod 110 with it's 40# trigger! My Mossberg Patriot was $299 in 243 and goes well under an inch out of the box. Probably the most accurate rifle I ever had was a Rem 788 in 222 Rem and paid under $80 for it. Saw one in Prineville a year or so ago in 223 and they wanted $700 for it!

My son has a Ruger American in 243, not super cheap, but definitely affordable. It’s the compact youth model with the 18in barrel. It shoots hand-loads into .75 all day.

The Remington 710 youth 243 my daughter shot was an easy sub moa gun, paid $225 used. All but 1 of my guns are well under 1k and all shoot .5moa or better. Handloads do help too of course.

I've had several Browning A-Bolts and X-Bolts that all drove tacks with factory ammo! Except one, an A-Bolt Medallion in .338 WM. Killed 2 elk and 2 oryx with it out to 300 yards, but couldn't punch paper under an inch. It was too pretty to using as a hunting rifle anyway.

I've had several Browning A-Bolts and X-Bolts that all drove tacks with factory ammo! Except one, an A-Bolt Medallion in .338 WM. Killed 2 elk and 2 oryx with it out to 300 yards, but couldn't punch paper under an inch. It was too pretty to using as a hunting rifle anyway.
Never shot an A-bolt I didn't like. Love those guns

My son's Mauser M18 in 30-06 is easily the most accurate in my safe. It was $399 on clearance.

My dad had an A-Bolt medallion in 25-06 that wouldn't shoot well as well. Maybe they were just too focused on the medallions looking pretty

Bought my first deer rifle from a local pawn shop. Remington 700 in 30-06. It had a swift scope on it that i changed out for a Leupold 3x9 100th anniversary scope i picked up brand new at a local 2nd hand store for $100. i had $500 total in that rifle and it has yet to fail me. Being a high schooler i could not afford a new build. Still use that rifle today! ive taken almost every ND big game animal with it waiting for my goat tag that should be here in a year or 2 and maybe just maybe a big horn tag.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back