Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Changing up guns for Turkey

mdcrossbow

I took the sweet 16 out today with #8 bird shot Winchester SX 2 3/4. I ordered a box of TSS 8-9 SHOT 2 3/4 I'M thinking the poly choke should do very well. Plus a lot less impact on my shoulder from the 3.5" 12 gauge Canon I've been shooting the past few years.

Attachments

• 20220212_135416.jpg
    20220212_135416.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220212_135103.jpg
    20220212_135103.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
Looks like that will work. For myself I would rather tighten that pattern up a bit.
Such a dramatic pellet display of 8's vs the 4's i shoot .

Kind of doing the same. Took a Remington 870 12ga. that I bought when working on the farm in Jr. High School. I just wrapped in camo, drilled it for scope mounts, screwed in an after market choke for TSS. I ordered a cheek pad that will be here this week. I’ll drill the stock for a sling swivel later this week. Anxious to begin the pattern testing !!

Sweet 16 = Ithaca 37? That was my first shotgun and the gun I most regret selling.
I sold this 16 to a family friend when he started hunting. One condition was he would sell it back to me for the price of a 12 GA.
I bought this 16 in 68. 2nd purchase I made with my paper money , 1st was my shwinn 12 speed.

I took the sweet 16 out today with #8 bird shot Winchester SX 2 3/4. I ordered a box of TSS 8-9 SHOT 2 3/4 I'M thinking the poly choke should do very well. Plus a lot less impact on my shoulder from the 3.5" 12 gauge Canon I've been shooting the past few years.
I have killed more turkeys with a 20 gauge than any other gun. I have been using a 12 gauge 870 turkey gun the past couple of season and man does that thing pack a wallop on both ends with turkey loads.

I may go back to the 20 this season, in the palmetto at least.

Looks like a dead turkey to me, wish the shells weren't so damn expensive. But i did roll a gobbler running away last year at 55-60 yards, can't remember if it was #7s or #9s, so it was worth it

Looks like a dead turkey to me, wish the shells weren't so damn expensive. But i did roll a gobbler running away last year at 55-60 yards, can't remember if it was #7s or #9s, so it was worth it
I hear ya. I missed a bird 1st and 2nd shot he was so close. Dropped him in flight at about 50 with the 3.5".
I'm waiting on the TSS 16 ga shells. I'm thinking with the coverage I'm getting from the SuperX,s l should just use the TSSas a back up 2nd shot.

Good even pattern but lead 8’s at 30yds might not be as deadly on a Turkey as you are hoping. TSS 9’s on the other hand will smoke em out farther than most should even be trying. You won’t be disappointed in TSS

That's a beautiful pattern. I'm switching this spring as well. Bought a Stoeger 20. Going with tungsten hand loads. Might try some 8 shot lead as well if I can find some.

If you can find a Baretta a391 Urika 2 ... buy it. I rarely make this type of recommendation, however, this is the most favorite of all my guns.
A light 12 Guage with a "recoil reduction" system. Very little recoil.
Great turkey gun and all around gun.
I shoot a lot of trap and sporting clays. I have no problem shooting 100 to 200 rounds with no recoil issues.
A very nice gun with a good fit and shoots true.
Just my opinion. Good luck.

I sold this 16 to a family friend when he started hunting. One condition was he would sell it back to me for the price of a 12 GA.
I bought this 16 in 68. 2nd purchase I made with my paper money , 1st was my shwinn 12 speed.
I've got a Mod 37 from the early 1950's from a very close friend that died in 1995. 30" full choke barrel I'd think it would make a good turkey gun, not for sale! I don't hunt turkeys but if I did I'd probably use a good 22 RF, not a shotgun. I don't understand the desire for the shotgun for turkeys. Then seems like a lot of people like 3" shells. Only thing I'd shoot 3" in is my 410 and with #6 shot to the head I'm not sure the turkey would realize it had been hit with a lesser cartridge.

Last edited:
Kind of doing the same. Took a Remington 870 12ga. that I bought when working on the farm in Jr. High School. I just wrapped in camo, drilled it for scope mounts, screwed in an after market choke for TSS. I ordered a cheek pad that will be here this week. I’ll drill the stock for a sling swivel later this week. Anxious to begin the pattern testing !!
Interested to know how the sling swivel set up works out. I just purchased and installed the Uncle Mike's brand on my 870 last night. Stupidly drilled the hole first and mounted the stud. Went to put on the magazine cap and it comes up about 1/8" short of the barrel, which allows for way more barrel play than is safe, as the action is now loose too. Put the old cap back on and have eaten 30 dollars.

Moral of story: test the cap first before drilling into your gun.

What happens if the turkey is facing left?

Do ya think the TSS will make that gobbler deaderer than those 8's??

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back