Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

CHANGE OF TIMES WITH DISTANCE??

Back when I started out bow hunting, I always told myself to always make the best shot you can. My thought process was keep it within that 30 yd. window and never further. at the time I was strictly a stand hunter and never tried the western hunt. As I watch the growth of the long range hunting with rifles going 600 plus , and muzzleloaders that can shoot well over 200 yds. with ease, I have seen the same with the archery community and have even joined the ranks in a couple hunts. I guess my question is, if your putting in the time on the practice, have the best equipment money can buy? should those who choose to take longer shots be looked at as non ethical OR just hitting another level of hunting? I practice at 100yds. daily and my confidence is higher than its ever been. At the same time its a whole other beast in the heat of the moment. I don't feel that there's really a right or wrong answer here, but what I do know is I can probably shoot more consistent at 70 than some one just shooting on the weekends at 30, and sometimes find myself even off at closer ranges now. were do the people stand on this topic I ask?

100 yds is way too far. I don't care how accurate you are, the animals gonna hear the shot well before the arrow arrives and possibly move a significant amount while the arrow is in flight. That can easily turn a perfect shot into a high hit, shoulder shot, or gut shot. Even if they stay perfectly still and your shot is perfect, you could have serious issues with penetration at that distance also.

It's great to practice at those ranges to perfect form, but I will always oppose shooting at an animal that far away with any archery setup. Besides that, it's all about getting close. That's what should define a successful bow hunt.

Last edited:
I think you were saying you just practice at a 100 yards not shoot at an animal that far. I think thats great. I do the same. Being proficient at 100 on the range will make a 50 yard shot on game almost a gimme. I would say 50 or 60 is my max and that's with perfect conditions; no wind and a feeding or relaxed animal.

100 yds is way too far. I don't care how accurate you are, the animals gonna hear the shot well before the arrow arrives and possibly move a significant amount while the arrow is in flight. That can easily turn a perfect shot into a high hit, shoulder shot, or gut shot. Even if they stay perfectly still and your shot is perfect, you could have serious issues with penetration at that distance also.

It's great to practice at those ranges to perfect form, but I will always oppose shooting at an animal that far away with any archery setup. Besides that, it's all about getting close. That's what should define a successful bow hunt.
+1
g.png

Maybe you are already doing it, but I would say that far better than practicing at crazy distances would be practicing different set-ups. Practice crouching - I hit a bull poorly because I had to crouch a little to get an arrow under a branch directly in front of me - now I practice shooting from a slight crouch to as far down as I can get while at full draw. Practice standing on uneven and slanted ground (uphill, downhill, sidehill, one foot on a rock, etc) - if you want to get see how crazy you can get, I saw a video of Cameron Hanes shooting an elk while standing on a tree limb, just to get above the brush. I know a guy who was sitting in front of a pine tree and had an elk come in directly behind him - the only way he could get a shooting lane was to lay flat on his back and shoot under the pine branches (he did not take the shot, but he now practices shooting while lying on his back). Shooting targets at 100 yds is easier to brag about, but realistic shooting positions are a bigger challenge and, I think, more likely to help you actually kill something in the woods.

Too many people not talented enough to get in close on an animal on top of not wanting to have a unsuccessful hunt and going home with a tag un punched. So they launch em.

It's like most things in 2020. Instead of practicing your actual "hunting" game, just practice what can get you the quickest result. Dial the bow to 87 and let er rip! ArChEry IS tHe cOOL tHiNG noW.

My problem with it is twofold. First the time in flight factor. That animal can and will move resulting in a bad hit. Maybe not the first time, but eventually it will. Secondly is penetration and broadhead performance at that distance. Can you imagine how bad you would feel to hit the animal perfectly but have it get away because you didn't have enough energy for a quick, humane kill?

My problem with it is twofold. First the time in flight factor. That animal can and will move resulting in a bad hit. Maybe not the first time, but eventually it will. Secondly is penetration and broadhead performance at that distance. Can you imagine how bad you would feel to hit the animal perfectly but have it get away because you didn't have enough energy for a quick, humane kill?
Thats the problem, Most of these Long Rangers don't give two $hits whether they wound an animal or not. #sendit

So I have seen the reaction that I thought I would. The bottom line is there will be those who are just " sending it " I agree, but then you say " most of the long rangers " do that which is painting again with a broad brush. I've also heard the comment of not wanting to eat a tag. Well that all maybe true, but not everyone is sponsored and have the chance to hunt for 5 to 10 days either. Would you agree that there are more animals wounded by weekend warriors at 30yds. than a polished shooter at distance? I also agree with you all on the timing and wounding with movement. There again its about knowing your animals instincts and how there built. Taking a 60yd. shot on a antelope is going to be different than 60yds. on a bull elk for Shure! There was also the comment that people aren't talented enough to get close. There again I think we paint with a broad brush. I Choose to spot and stock antelope, its what I love to do. My last hunt I spent 3 hours belly crawling into 90yds. in terrain that looks like the moon. FLAT With zero cover but a lone cottonwood. I've seen plenty of clips of elk being wounded at 20 or 30 yds. because of a branch to so I don't think anyone goes out hoping to wound a animal. Thanks for the input all!

I've had deer duck/jump arrows at 30 yards. They could easily scurry away at 100 yards. I like to keep everything under 40 if possible. I'm comfortable shooting an animal out to 60 with the perfect conditions and the animal doesn't see me. If they see me, I won't shoot till they look away. That's what caused a couple deer to jump/duck my arrows over the years.

Practice as far of shots as you can. There's never a reason not to practice. Shooting at extreme ranges makes you focus on the fundamentals. Once those are down, you'll be a better shooter at most distances. No one ever wants to wound an animal. No matter what, it will happen to everyone someday. I'm just glad that in my experiences so far, the only deer I've wounded with a bow and not found, we shot him 3 years later when he was a nice buck. I said he looks familiar and after skinning the deer we could tell he had been shot before, and sure enough, after looking into the scar, we found my broadhead from 3 years earlier. I felt terrible at the time I shot him since I tracked him for half a mile then into a waist deep swamp. It all ended well for everyone involved apart from the deer having a broadhead in his shoulder. He was walking just fine though. Without having cleaned the deer, you never would've known it was shot.

I had a friend that typically practiced at 100 yds +. He was able to consistently score at turkey shoots, where the shots were 100 yds and the only target was the head and neck. I don't think he ever shot at a deer beyond 30 yds. At 100 yds, I seriously doubt that an animal will "jump the string", as one will at 15 or 20 yds. I think the reaction would be more of a look up to see what caused the noise. IMO, it can be done, but I won't be doing it.

I am only shooting a longbow but for me it's about the stalk 25yrds max for me, I let my first ever bear walk I stalked into 40 yards and got down to 30 before the wind switched, I had time for a shot but for me it was to far, people might laugh and would have taken him without a thought but for me there is always another day.
hopefully this will be the year I get the chance at another. I have shot a lot of animals over the years and now for me it's for memories no pressure for numbers with the bow as we can't hunt in the uk with one. I see many people pushing the boundary's even with a rifle and coming from somebody who tracks for people i have seen many things that shouldn't have happened there is always another day, another deer and a good shot, don't get me wrong things can happen even when things look perfect but the longer the distance the more chance of things going wrong after the arrow or trigger has been released, regards wayne

My max range is completely dependent on the current conditions. A stiff crosswind and my effective range is way down. However, on a calm day with an animal feeding/drinking and oblivious to my presence then I’ll shoot out to where I’m confident and capable. I personally don’t want to be within 20 yards on an animal. Im supremely confident at 40 and I feel like animals aren’t as nervous when I’m not right in their lap. I’m also not a whitetail hunter and don’t hunt from treestands at close ranges. I want a range on anything I’m shooting no matter how far it is. With that being said, I’m not interested in being the “ethics police”. Levi Morgan is more effective at 100 than a lot of people are at 30.

My max range is completely dependent on the current conditions. A stiff crosswind and my effective range is way down. However, on a calm day with an animal feeding/drinking and oblivious to my presence then I’ll shoot out to where I’m confident and capable. I personally don’t want to be within 20 yards on an animal. Im supremely confident at 40 and I feel like animals aren’t as nervous when I’m not right in their lap. I’m also not a whitetail hunter and don’t hunt from treestands at close ranges. I want a range on anything I’m shooting no matter how far it is. With that being said, I’m not interested in being the “ethics police”. Levi Morgan is more effective at 100 than a lot of people are at 30.

I doubt it.

Doubt all you want...the guy shoots a baseball size group at 100. There are a lot of bow hunters that don’t do that at 30,40,50. He’s the best in the world and backs it up all the time.

Lots of people shoot “a baseball size group” at 100, none of them do it all the time. And he’s the best at 3D, not at field, indoor, nor fita.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back