Chance of still finding sheds?

bigbuck247

My wife and I are going to Estes park next week and I was wanting to know what is the chance of there still being sheds hanging around?

I have found big antlers in every month of the year. With the competition there is now days and this late in the year you may need to go to places so steep and rocky most other antler hunters take a pass.

I have found whitetail sheds in every month of the year. Usually by now they are chewed up bad. I’d imagine the rodents get to the elk antlers too?

National parks are one of the easiest places to find antlers. Still fun to just hike around and take pictures of them. I’ve done a fair amount of this in July and Aug.

I find antlers every year in Sept and October. I've found a six point elk shed not five feet off a named BLM road that 100s if not 1000s of people had driven past. There's always some that get missed.

This was a hunting season find last year. Based on where it was, I may not have been the first person to glass it up with a spotter. I was, however, the first person dumb enough to climb way the heck up the canyon and then butt crawl down to pick it up. I marked where I thought it was on onx and then mulled over hiking up to pick up that shed for a few days, which was good because it was so steep when I got dumb enough to go over there that I couldn't see the shed until I was practically on top of it. I ran into a mountain lion on the way to the shed and had an archery encounter with a really nice bull that night, then I found another shed climbing out right on a trail running along a ridge, so it was totally worth it.

I wish my whole hunting season had gone the way that day did. There was another 18 or so days of hard hunting, lots of hiking and glassing, and very little action.

Attachments

• 20200917_183540.jpg
    20200917_183540.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20200921_172300.jpg
    20200921_172300.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 31
My biggest elk sheds were found hunting in late October maybe a 1/2 mile from a highly traveled road.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back