Caribou Gear Tarp

Chainsaw Recommendation

Stihl ms290 and Husqvarna 455 Rancher are great, comparable choices in the $400-$500 range. Both saws outfitted with 18"-20" bars should last a long, long time and take care of almost any trail/tree circumstances you encounter.

My Huskie 55 is a 92' and I used to have to lean it out going from coast to Sierras' . I have it dialed in for 8000' now so I don't have to mess with it any more from home, 7500' to Mtns,up to 10k.
The Stihl MS 170 never needs fussing with.

Only problem I have now in high country NM is I can't keep mix for more than a month without condensation problems. Water in can. It'll plug a jet and I have to take apart and dry out. So I only mix so much or it goes on an ant hill or for cleaning up chains & bars.
I think the altitude and heavy humidity swings cause this. 4%-80% in a day. Temp swings too.
New mix can has helped a bunch.Push button swivel pour ,with filters. Simple design. Still throw out old fuel,so I mix a gal or so at a time.
No additive or cure works here for gas.

Making sure that you have non-ethynol fuel helps in that regard also. Ehtynol and chainsaws do not mix real well, if left for any amount of time.

I'll check,but I don't have much choice here.
I just mix up less now & use fresh gas.

DSC01180.jpg

Caddis,

I bought this 026 Stihl about 25 years ago, much for the same reasons you are looking for a saw. Since then I've worked the heck out of it, and it's "Stihl" going strong.

Just FYI, my stihl's both say to use premium fuel for the higher octane rating, I can tell a difference performance wise.

The Stihl MS250 would be the saw !! It is a weekender saw but packs a punch. Lightweight yet powerful enough to out do most other saws in your category. The thing about a Stihl is how you start them !! If you buy a Stihl ask the guy how to run the choke when starting it. You need to put them on full choke and pull until you hear it fire for the first time , then move the choke lever up one notch pull it and it will start. A lot of guys don't know that and after it fires they keep on pulling and don't move the choke and that will flood the saw and it won't start....I have seen many, not so knowledgeable guys down at the Stihl shop bring their saw in complaining they won't start only to have the tech have them running in about 30 seconds.

X2.....I am on my 4th season with my Poulan Pro that I use for exactly what you are talking about (as well as a couple of cords of firewood for the house each year) and it is MORE than enough. If money isn't an object then sure, go for a stihl or husky buuuuut if budget is a concern the PP is a good deal. I have the larger one (I believe 48cc) and the outfit (case, oil, extra chain) only cost me 149 at HD. Just a thought. Nothing against the others but for once or twice a year they may be overkill. Just my 2 cents worth.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back