Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cerakote Touch Up?

Wilderness_56587

Have a Howa 1500 in with the brown cerakote, had the rifle bedded into a Custom Stock and some of the release agent stuck to the action on the outside, when I tried to clean it off it scraped up the cerakote. Any way to just touch up a few spots of it? It is not horrible looking but defiantly noticeable.

I would reach out to Howa. I'm sure they will at least point you in the right direction.

Touching up a spot is really tough on cerakote at least according to the guy I use and cost wise is similar to a recoat due to disassembly, baking, etc. Trying to match color and sheen is not easy to do. If it doesn't have to be perfect, you might can get it done but my guess is you will have to recoat at least the action.

For some reason the release agent for the bedding compound would not come off the cerakote, the bedding compound didn't stick to it but the cerakote did.

Not sure to be honest, had the local gun-smith do it. Really knowledgeable old guy just don't think he had ever delt with a cerakote finish before. The residue left is a blue color

There's always Sharpie...:D
It's gonna get scuffs and scrapes as you use it, although I understand it's a bummer it happened right off. A q-tip as a brush and some closely colored Krylon might fit the bill.

There's always Sharpie...:D
It's gonna get scuffs and scrapes as you use it, although I understand it's a bummer it happened right off. A q-tip as a brush and some closely colored Krylon might fit the bill.
Yep. It's not a beauty contest. mtmuley

Not sure to be honest, had the local gun-smith do it. Really knowledgeable old guy just don't think he had ever delt with a cerakote finish before. The residue left is a blue color

What did the local gunsmith offer to do to fix his mistake?
Like stated it would need to be recoated to completely match and not be noticeable. They do make brown sharpies also!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back