Cerakote on Firearms?

HighDesertSage

Anybody ever had a rifle done? What were the pros and cons? Cost? I have a browing x-bolt that I absolutely love, but it is not stainless , and I was looking to provide a bit more protection from the elements.

Never used cerakote but I've done KGI gunkote 2400, which is a hard bake on paint. It works pretty well. I don't know about cost because I did it myself. It really is easy to do, you just need an airbrush and an oven your barreled action will fit in.

'Recently had my 1971 Remington 700 BDL finished with Cerakote graphite black barrel and action and dark earth stock with black spider veins. The wood stock was worn and somewhat scarred and the bluing was worn on the barrel. It looks like a new rifle with appearance of synthetic stock. I am very pleased with the outcome, albeit a tad heavier than before. It seems to be a good solution to upgrading appearance and protecting the rifle from moisture and further damage.

I’ve had three done and been very happy with it. One was a standard blued 700, the other a semi-custom with a blued 700 action and stainless barrel the other was a full custom with CM action and stainless barrel.

Both 700s were done in graphite black. My custom was done in tungsten. I would not do a grey color again as it is not as smooth and slick as other colors as they need to put metal to get the colors and it results in a very very very very fine grit. Not a huge deal, but when your other actions are slick as snot with graphite black it’s a little bit funky. That said, it may wear out with time.

Eddie Fosnaugh did my 700s and Jon Beanland did my custom. Not sure if Jon does cerakoting only, but I’d recommend Eddie all day long and twice on Sundays for his cerakote work.

I had a Ruger M77 mkii done a few years back. Turned out really well. Never could get the rifle to group the way I wanted so done the road it went. As for the finish itself, I would recommend it to anyone. I have considered having a few others done. A buddy turned a pawn shop 11-87 into an all weather duck gun with a cercoat finish.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I dropped the rifle off today to get done. Cerakote had a certified applicator here in GJ. I went with the tungsten color as I think it will look pretty slick with the black stock. I'll post up some pics when I get it back in a few weeks.

I’ve had three done and been very happy with it. One was a standard blued 700, the other a semi-custom with a blued 700 action and stainless barrel the other was a full custom with CM action and stainless barrel.

Both 700s were done in graphite black. My custom was done in tungsten. I would not do a grey color again as it is not as smooth and slick as other colors as they need to put metal to get the colors and it results in a very very very very fine grit. Not a huge deal, but when your other actions are slick as snot with graphite black it’s a little bit funky. That said, it may wear out with time.

Eddie Fosnaugh did my 700s and Jon Beanland did my custom. Not sure if Jon does cerakoting only, but I’d recommend Eddie all day long and twice on Sundays for his cerakote work.

Hmm, I just re read your post. I wonder if I outta call them tomorrow and change it to graphite black. How gritty are we talking here?

I have one rifle done that way and it looks "bad ass".

How do I hunt with it? Pretty much the same minus some occasional surface rust, lol.

Hmm, I just re read your post. I wonder if I outta call them tomorrow and change it to graphite black. How gritty are we talking here?

If I were to life the bolt and tip the barrel up the graphite actions the bolt would slide back and slam into the back of the action like it was on bearings with only a couple degrees of lift.

The tungsten action would need to get to 30-40 degrees (estimate) and would not slam as hard.

I'll be home tomorrow and could test this out as now I'm curious and don't want to be spittin too much BS ;)

If I were to life the bolt and tip the barrel up the graphite actions the bolt would slide back and slam into the back of the action like it was on bearings with only a couple degrees of lift.

The tungsten action would need to get to 30-40 degrees (estimate) and would not slam as hard.

I'll be home tomorrow and could test this out as now I'm curious and don't want to be spittin too much BS ;)

10 4. I appreciate the feedback.

The bolt on my Rem 700 is Cerakote Dark Earth and works well, as described by jryoung for the tungsten. Other metal is Graphite Black and is slick, but that's good to repel snow and moisture.
Stock and other surfaces are Dark Earth with black spider veins and thus grip well.

I had a Savage action done to match a bead blasted Criterion barrel and I am very happy with the finish. However I don't recommend using the applicator Dynamic Finishes out of Missouri. They coated several surfaces that should have remained cerakote free. For example the sprayed the threads of several screws that I had to replace when reassembling the rifle. The Cerakote is very durable and easy to clean.

I had this 700 done (graphite black) about three years ago $275.00 range. I have a few future projects in mind, I really like the product.
lope13wyo065_zps16ea25f9.jpg

I had a Savage 210F slug barreled action baked in Cerakote to match a brown leaf on the Mossy Oak stock without bolt or trigger group attached.
I want to say it was Olive Drab Brown or Green.
I could not be happier.
Kodiak Koatings did it for $75 and I included the return shipping money order $40.
They are near Lexington, Kentucky
10Dogs

Got it back!

Got it back finally. I am very impressed with the finish. It looks great too. It ran me $175 out the door, but I also paid the extra 30 bucks to have the gun smith strip it down.

Attachments

• rsz_120160107_120139.jpg
    rsz_120160107_120139.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 946
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back