Caribou Gear

CCW/Gun posession on I40

Bukwild3

Im traveling to Arizona next month. Arizona honors my CCW but I have read that resrvations dont. I see I will be traveling through the Navajo Reservation on I40. Anybody know where I can get more info on travel through this area and maybe other places in the state?

All Arizona tribes recognize federal law, including the "safe passage" provision of the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act Act (FOPA). FOPA provides that, notwithstanding any state, tribal, or local law, and while making a continuous journey, a person who is not a prohibited possessor is entitled to transport a firearm or ammunition for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm or ammunition if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.[19] In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm or ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[19] Recent U.S. Court of Appellate rulings have confirmed that FOPA`s protections only apply to unloaded firearms not readily accessible to the traveler, and many tribal governments have strict laws with respect to firearms being carried or transported on tribal lands.[19][20][20][21] For example, in the event of a vehicle stop, Navajo Nation police will seize any loaded firearm found to be accessible to the driver or passenger.[20][21][22] and confiscated firearms are not returnable unless the owner can establish proof of ownership of the firearm and ammunition by presenting a bill of sale or other evidence at the police station at a later date

TLDR: lock them up in the trunk before you enter tribal lands

If you are on a federal or state highway, you are good to go. If you leave that roadway, then you are subject to the tribe's laws/regs. The tribal police are more likely to shake you down for fines than anything else i.e. if you pay the fine before your court date, then we won't tell your insurance company.

Back