Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CB Radio in hunting rig

Tecumseh

Anyone still have a CB radio in their hunting rig? My aunt gave me the two my uncle had after he passed away and I had one of em checked out and put it in my truck with a good antenna. I found em easier to use when a bunch of us head out west instead of cell phones whenever we needed to make pit stops on the way.

They guys I hunt with with all got em in their trucks too.

Reactions: Guy
With technology getting so compact and portable, I'd guess GMRS radios perform as well as CB radios and are not hardwired into a vehicle.

the main difference between CB radio and the MicroMobile® is the power capability which translates to better range and sound quality. CB radios are only allowed to transmit at a maximum of 4 watts by law. With GMRS frequency, the FCC allows up to 50 watts of power.

I have a cb in the truck and an fm too. Really nice on trips. Don't have to worry about having signal and everyone can hear the conversation so I don't have to repeat.

I have a cb in the truck and an fm too. Really nice on trips. Don't have to worry about having signal and everyone can hear the conversation so I don't have to repeat.
I hunt in a couple of remote areas of Ohio where cell phone reception is sketchy at best. The local farmers in that area use em quite a bit. They come in handy at times. Sometimes we’ll get on and bs with em on Friday and Saturday nights along with some of the other locals.

Last edited:
Had a CB in the Jeep when we did a road trip from IA to CO 12 years ago and was amazed at how little radio chatter there was. I guess truckers have all gone to cell phones as well - zero chatter all the way out on I80 (and yes, it is tuned correctly). I remember my grandad's daily morning ritual was to fire up the MoonRaker base and chat with folks from all over while having his morning coffee.

Had a CB in the Jeep when we did a road trip from IA to CO 12 years ago and was amazed at how little radio chatter there was. I guess truckers have all gone to cell phones as well - zero chatter all the way out on I80 (and yes, it is tuned correctly). I remember my grandad's daily morning ritual was to fire up the MoonRaker base and chat with folks from all over while having his morning coffee.
My dad an uncles did the same thing back in the day. I got my truck stuck over where I hunt and got on channel 4 and got hold of a group of people 4 wheelin’ and they came and pulled me out. It was worth every penny that 30 pack of Busch light cost me that I got em for helping me out!

Haven't used one in years, wish I still had mine though. Had it hot rodded a bit too. It sure did come in handy on more than one occasion.

I used to have a CB in an old 4x4 and never used it much because nobody else that I knew had one. Lately I've been thinking of getting some type of additional radio comms in a Jeep I'm building into a hunting/camping rig, but I would rather have some sort of long range communication capability such as a hamm or VHF/UHF, but then a license is required. CB is fine for short range comms when travelling in a convoy such as an off-roading club or your hunting group while driving around looking for a campsite or something, but in mountainous terrain it isn't going to reach out very far at all. What I'm looking for is an additional means of communicating with someone that can get me in touch with towing or emergency services when I'm in very remote areas with zero cell coverage. If anyone has a setup that works like this I would love to hear about what you have.

I picked up a pair of Baofeng handheld HAM/GMRS/FRS radios off of Amazon with the intent to eventually get licensed in HAM. They came in handy during a camping trip convoy. I got as far as programing them so they can pick up the repeaters in the area, enabling me to listen in.

I had a CB mounted in a previous rig when living in the Seatle area; traffic on it was sparse but it was handy off roading with others within line of site. I plan on putting that radio into my current rig, just need to get around to it.

For reliable comms in remote areas, an In Reach or similar is probably going to be better than any radio. Line of sight is a huge limitation for radios in the mountains. In Reach will work wherever you go.

Back