Cartridge Selection - AR

For a deer and antelope AR-15 build I'd bump up to a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC as others have mentioned. Both are pretty accurate. My scoped LR-308 build (308 win, 18 inch barrel) weighs 9 lbs 10 oz without loaded mags or bipod, not sure how much packing around you'll be doing but not a super lightweight carry option.

I’m excited for you getting back into hunting. However, your caliber choice, as all do, have some limitations. You will need to hone your shooting and hunting skills for short range shots. Head shots are never preferred. You need to be extra-close in order to do so, and a heart/lung shot is still easier and more reliable. The brain of a deer is about the size of a mandarin orange, while the heart and lung combo is the size of a watermelon. My vote is heart/lung shot with a controlled expansion bullet like a bolster partition.

just get an ar10 in 308. i would definitely feel undergunned with a .224 bullet. I understand that you can kill just about any animal with just about any cartridge, but its not about whether or not you can, its about whether or not you should. to me, the animal deserves better than to be wounded then die on a second shot, or worse, wounded and die hours or days later.

I've killed close to 20 deer,(whitetails) with my AR. Distances out to 230 yards, none went more than 60 yards many dropped where they stood..

Now having said that, I am very picky about shot selection and bullet construction... I use Speer Gold Dot 62gr bullets loaded to 3050 fps chronographed out of my DMR..

I only shoot for a broadside double lung shot unless very close (<50yds) then I will shoot for the shoulder neck junction... BTW I always use a good rest with mine..

Remember that the 223 isn't a cannon but it can be a scalpel if you can control your emotional and physical wherewithal..

I've killed close to 20 deer,(whitetails) with my AR. Distances out to 230 yards, none went more than 60 yards many dropped where they stood..

Now having said that, I am very picky about shot selection and bullet construction... I use Speer Gold Dot 62gr bullets loaded to 3050 fps chronographed out of my DMR..

I only shoot for a broadside double lung shot unless very close (<50yds) then I will shoot for the shoulder neck junction... BTW I always use a good rest with mine..

Remember that the 223 isn't a cannon but it can be a scalpel if you can control your emotional and physical wherewithal..

Good info! Thank you!

I personally seen deer shot with small center fire rifles. My take I like when States have a .243 minimum.
Just because you can does mean it's a good idea. Yes I like my .223 Rem but there are better tools in my tool box. Just My .02 cents. Respect the Game you Hunt and also don't shoot beyond your ability.

Good Hunting

A 223 with the correct bullet is a deer slayer. I’ve shot a lot of deer on nuisance permits with a 223. A shot behind the shoulder was 100% lethal in my experience. 64 Grain Power Points, 62 grain Fusions, 60 grain Partitions all killed them equally well. A 77 grain TMK is an incredibly lethal bullet. I rarely got exits, but everything in front of the diaphragm was jelly.

My experience with .22 center fire on deer has been good also. Less than 100yds.

Bullet placement, bullet construction then caliber. in that order.

I'm from Phoenix. Only thing I would consider .223 on is Coues in az. Not saying you can't hurt mulies or pronghorn with one, just wouldn't be in my top 100 of calibers.

Why?

Have you ever shot a deer with one? It's pure lights out. My kids have now taken 4 deer with one. 3 whitetails and 1 mulie. The mulie ran 30-40 with blood pouring out of it. The others didn't take a step.

Why?

Have you ever shot a deer with one? It's pure lights out. My kids have now taken 4 deer with one. 3 whitetails and 1 mulie. The mulie ran 30-40 with blood pouring out of it. The others didn't take a step.
Yes, twice, its not lights out every time. I'm glad you had success though.

a .223 with the 62 speer, 60 partition and 64 bonded base are all good hunting rounds but have limits. stay within those limits and its a great hunting rig get outside those limits and you need to move up in platform not just a upper change. i have a ar-10 in .260 and its a amazing hunting rifle, coyotes and deer hate it!

Hornady just came out with a very interesting round that came through a partnership with the dod. It's called the 6mm ARC.

It looks like a solid round out to range with energy levels that would make many people comfortable with the ability to take medium big game.

It works in a standard AR configuration rifle.. Very similar round to a 6.5 Grendel and a couple of 6mm wildcats..

Check out on YT..

Hornady just came out with a very interesting round that came through a partnership with the dod. It's called the 6mm ARC.

It looks like a solid round out to range with energy levels that would make many people comfortable with the ability to take medium big game.

It works in a standard AR configuration rifle.. Very similar round to a 6.5 Grendel and a couple of 6mm wildcats..

Check out on YT..

I saw that. Its a Grendel necked down to 6mm. I had been considering building a Grendel upper, but it really is an odd caliber for met to stock bullets for

6mm on the other hand, fits right in as we have 2- 243 rifles.

6mm Grendel has been out a long time. They just commercialized it.
I shot a 6.5 Grendel for a couple of years in some tactical matches. When it worked it was great, but I broke several bolts shooting factory ammo. Every time was in the middle of a match. Finally gave up on it.

6mm Grendel has been out a long time. They just commercialized it.

Another "Greatest Cartridge Ever!" from Hornady. :rolleyes:

I shot a 6.5 Grendel for a couple of years in some tactical matches. When it worked it was great, but I broke several bolts shooting factory ammo. Every time was in the middle of a match. Finally gave up on it.

I had a discussion about this the other day with a former Army 91F regarding my wanting to build a 6.5 Grendel . He contends that a handloader can not get to factory velocity in Grendel due to case capacity, magazine COAL limitations, and proprietary factory propellants. He maintains that to get to the published velocities, the rounds had to be CIP max or +P .

Never having loaded for it, I could not respond. I had not heard of broken bolts before. That's scary.

It was the extractor every time, I started carrying an extra. Gave it to another Grendel shooter more than once. 6mm is the sweet spot for that case capacity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back