Cartridge question

I tried Accubonds out of my 270 WSM and was not at all happy with their performance. Partitions were better but still not great. I switched to copper and will never look back. I now use 130 ttsx exclusively but have had great luck with 140 tsx as well on both moose and deer.

I don't shoot premium bullet's and am wondering. If you take the same shot with that 270WSM with the 130gr ttsx and the 140gr ttsx, which will penetrate better? 130gr has the velocity advantage but 140gr has the weight advantage. Guess it doesn't really matter as both, at least on a deer, are likely gonna exit! Now another thing. Take the same shot with a cup and core 130gr and 140gr bullet and if the bullet exit's or just gets to the other side, will there be an advantage to the premium bullet? I have had what I'd call failure with a cup and core bullet years ago but, in the process of failing it took the animal right down! Sure ruined a lot of meat though! Today if all I had was a box of those same bullet's and needed the food, I'd have the food but I'd be more careful about placing the shot. Last deer I shot with a 243, I was out looking for a coyote during deer season. Nice doe and placed a 75gr V-Max just behind the shoulder and knocked her right down. Bullet did not exit and made a mess inside the chest but did what I asked of it. Had that same shot gone into a shoulder I'm not so sure the out come would have been so good!

Years ago when I shot CF 22's I used a lot of the old Hornady SX bullet's. I bet properly used it would jerk a deer down as fast as anything. God forbid you should make a placement error though, no room for error. People that like the premium bullet's, good for you, they just aren't something I see myself as needing. Of course I don't live, hunt or even visit California!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back