PEAX Equipment

Caribou Trophies.

ThunderNocked

Going on a Caribou hunt here in a couple weeks and the guy I'm going with is looking to get a BIG ONE. If we stumble into a BIG ONE I'd be interested in getting it mounted. You guys with 'Bou do you do Shoulders, Euros, or just like a Cap? I'm not really a fan of European Mounts, but not sure I can do a Shoulder of a Bou at the moment. Just curious to see what other mounts people might have.

I'd Euro it. Capes can be beat up pretty bad this time of the year. You can always tan the cape and save for later.

Last edited:
A couple of real nice Caribou mounts above.(y)(y)

I'm not a real fan of Euro mounts other than on the roof peak of a backcountry hunting cabin. I much prefer the realism of shoulder mounts.

I've been fortunate enough to have shot nice bulls from 4 species of Caribou, and I had shoulder mounts done with each of them. I'm more than happy with all of them.

My largest bull that I took at the end of the 2017 Quebec season.
BeSESRwl.jpg

Those are some awesome trophies!!!
I was looking at trying to get away from the Shoulder Mount potentially as I have some other plans for my very limited game space, but wasn't sure I wanted to do a Euro. Thanks for the pictures. I'll keep following along here and looking. Thanks guys.

I was just looking and found this. Was thinking about maybe something more like this for the first one. Unless he is really big or really nice.

Attachments

• Caribou idea 2.jpg
    Caribou idea 2.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 8
These are all beautiful creatures. I'm headed to AK for a 'bou hunt in 2021.. Curious how you guys were able to preserve your hides? Was it cold enough to just flesh it and hang? (I'm anticipating 40's..) Did you flesh and salt the hide? Turn ears and split lips & nose....? Curious how far down the rabbit hole I need to go in order to ensure I can get the hide back in working order?

These are all beautiful creatures. I'm headed to AK for a 'bou hunt in 2021.. Curious how you guys were able to preserve your hides? Was it cold enough to just flesh it and hang? (I'm anticipating 40's..) Did you flesh and salt the hide? Turn ears and split lips & nose....? Curious how far down the rabbit hole I need to go in order to ensure I can get the hide back in working order?
Ideally you should flesh the hide clean, split the lips, turn the ears, and salt the hide, but not everybody can do that. I think a caribou cape would take about 5 lbs of salt, and I was once told not to use ionized salt.

My taxidermist once told me NOT to salt the lips if I didn't split them.

I have done several capes where I just fleshed then froze them, and they turned out fine.

I think that I've only turned the ears myself on one animal that I've had mounted.

It's also very important not to cut the cape too short. It's better to have your taxidermist trim off excess hide than try to make a short cape fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back