Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Caribou Hunt Logistics

jpauli

Looking for some advice. Have a Caribou hunt out of Fairbanks/Bettles booked for this next season. What is the best way to ship antlers and cape back? sounds like FedEx will ship antlers out of Fairbanks. Is this the best way? Do not believe I want the cape to go this slow way back to the states, with the antlers. What is the best way to ship the cape back? Advice, please.

The cape can be shipped as a checked bag. Either frozen or fleshed and salted. Either way, it goes inside a plastic bag (sealed) and then in a waxed "fish shipping box". It gets home when you do. Get it out of the plastic bag ASAP. For the antlers, you need to check with your airline. Some will accept them as baggage or freight and some won't. Don't expect it to be cheap. You can check for a "freight expediter" in Fairbanks to help with the antlers. The cheapest way to ship them would be to split the skull, nest them and box them. Points need to be well padded, so they won't puncture anything and skull needs to be well wrapped in plastic, so no fluids leak out. If they leak on anything, they'll end up in the airlines trash.

Thanks , for the advice. Yes, was thinking best to ship the cape back, straight with me. Have been having some difficulty in finding a good shipping expediter. Talked to Fed-Ex and they can ship, though am sure will not be cheap. They said they can help with packing. Always looking for options to choose from. Again thanks.

I shipped two caribou racks from Anchorage to North Dakota for a buddy. We split the skull plate and nested them inside one another. The box was still slightly too big to ship USPS snail mail so I had to go with UPS Ground. Total shipping was still crazy expensive. I'd need to go back and find the actual cost but I was pretty surprised at how expensive it was (and that was when I lived up there and was use to paying S&H fees to the lower 48). Whatever route you go, just expect it to be pricey.

The EASIEST way to get antlers home is simple: shoot a small bull, split the skull, nest the antlers and throw them in a duffel bag. Of course, nobody wants do it quite that way. :)
One off the wall idea for getting antlers back would be to advertise for someone in your home area who would be RVing to/from AK during the summer to pick them up from your outfitter (or some other trustworthy individual) and bring them back with them. You could probably get it done for a fraction of the freight cost, but you'd have to wait 6-8 months to get them home. Probably a quicker way, using the same thought process would be to look for a snow bird in Fairbanks area to bring them south with them and arrange to meet with them on their way to AZ (or wherever).

Last edited:
split the skull cap, pad all the points, zip tie antlers together, wrap in plastic wrap, hand to airline baggage handler, pick up at your final destination at the oversized luggage window. freeze your cape solid or pack with dry ice and again check as baggage. much cheaper than shipping fed ex

.\/\/\/\/\ I agree with the above if your looking for a cheap route there really isn't one from Alaska. This is what I did along with 135lbs of great bou meat. Some of the best meat I've ever had may top moose meat it's a throw up between the two.

Oh and also I would ship my duds back USPS in a tote to allow more space for the above save you some bucks.

I've only been to Alaska once (for bear hunting) but I'm always checking this stuff out and planning it. I found a gear rental place the other day on line. The reason I bring this up is that it might be possible to just rent some of your bulky gear and leave it there instead of bringing it with you and leave more room to ship home meat. I don't think I'm going to make that work for what I'm doing since I'm packed down pretty small anyways. But if I was trying to bring big things like wall tents or rafts or stoves, I might consider renting.

How do you split the skull? I’m hoping for a euro mount (pending fall trip) and think this would be too damaging? I’ve googled and googled and can’t seem to find the splitting method defined or video.

I got a nice caribou a bunch of years back, not a record, but nice.
I cut the antlers off like normal then pulled the tops in. This weakened the skull plate to where I could snap it in half. I bought a cheap hose, cut it up and taped a piece onto every point. Then I nested the two antlers together and taped the whole thing so nothing wiggled. I eyeballed the size of the antlers then went to the store. I asked to look at boxes they were throwing away. I found a box that would work. I put the antlers inside, modified the box a bit and taped it good. I forgot to mention that I cleaned the skull halves really good, wrapped them in plastic and taped the crap out of it too. I shipped it on delta as extra bag along with 3 full coolers of meat. Pretty sure I only paid $50 per bag.

I've only been to Alaska once (for bear hunting) but I'm always checking this stuff out and planning it. I found a gear rental place the other day on line. The reason I bring this up is that it might be possible to just rent some of your bulky gear and leave it there instead of bringing it with you and leave more room to ship home meat. I don't think I'm going to make that work for what I'm doing since I'm packed down pretty small anyways. But if I was trying to bring big things like wall tents or rafts or stoves, I might consider renting.

If you're a member, REI offers great rental deals on lots of camping equipment. There's one in Anc - not sure if there's on in FBX. If you do rent from them, I would NOT tell them you're renting for a hunting trip. :)
AK Express had a good reputation. I wouldn't hesitate to use him if he's still in business.
Euro mounts were not under consideration when splitting the skull plate was discussed. You may be able to remove the antlers from the skull (euro mount) and reattach at home (probably by sawing beneath the pedicle) but I don't know anyone who has done it - talk to a taxidermist. The skull would have to be well cleaned or frozen and well wrapped for shipping.

I talked to a taxidermist about flying back with a caribou + euro mount, he said cut off one antler at pedicle and leave the other attached to the skull. Apparently it’s easier to get the angle right if one is naturally attached. If you have 24-36 hours before your flight and electrical access you can use a sous vide machine at 140-145, oxiclean powder, and a cooler to clean your skull.

2A6C66A9-A94F-452C-9735-A3E81F512005.jpg

https://www.alaskaexpresstrucking.com/price-list
Has anyone used these guys? I read on another thread they were out of biz but then their website popped back up so I was planning on using them should I through an Alaska trip together for 2019.

I’ve looked into it. I hadn’t heard anything about it for several years so I thought he was done to. If your dates line up for his departure from Ak to the lower 48 and you are in feasible distance of his route then it may be good way to go. From the top of my head without looking I think his route used to be I-90 from Montana to Chicago area than to Michigan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back