Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Carbon fiber Model 70 build

Back to the topic, I’d absolutely love to have a gun like that. Got the scope, and a vanguard s2 308 to put it on, but I really want a mountain rifle for it.

Model 70 classic stainless 270 WSM ~2004. Had problems with accuracy and rings/mounts coming loose. I Decided to rebuild the gun since i have always wanted to do a build. Finished product now wears the original action, bolt, bottom metal and trigger. The stock was replaced with an hs precision. Barrel is a proof research carbon sendero light 24”. Rechambered to 6.5 prc. Cerekoted all metal to titanium and installed a custom brake. Box and follower also gave us feed problems with the new longer round. We used a wyatts outdoor center stack box and follower and the gun feeds flawlessly even with the 156 bergers. Just thought id leave an update of another build. It turned out exactly as i had planned. 19E0EEA9-D1DC-41C1-8D75-3EDD8CDB1A56.jpeg

Model 70 classic stainless 270 WSM ~2004. Had problems with accuracy and rings/mounts coming loose. I Decided to rebuild the gun since i have always wanted to do a build. Finished product now wears the original action, bolt, bottom metal and trigger. The stock was replaced with an hs precision. Barrel is a proof research carbon sendero light 24”. Rechambered to 6.5 prc. Cerekoted all metal to titanium and installed a custom brake. Box and follower also gave us feed problems with the new longer round. We used a wyatts outdoor center stack box and follower and the gun feeds flawlessly even with the 156 bergers. Just thought id leave an update of another build. It turned out exactly as i had planned. View attachment 270757
What’s the brake?

Model 70 classic stainless 270 WSM ~2004. Had problems with accuracy and rings/mounts coming loose. I Decided to rebuild the gun since i have always wanted to do a build. Finished product now wears the original action, bolt, bottom metal and trigger. The stock was replaced with an hs precision. Barrel is a proof research carbon sendero light 24”. Rechambered to 6.5 prc. Cerekoted all metal to titanium and installed a custom brake. Box and follower also gave us feed problems with the new longer round. We used a wyatts outdoor center stack box and follower and the gun feeds flawlessly even with the 156 bergers. Just thought id leave an update of another build. It turned out exactly as i had planned. View attachment 270757
We're you able to rework the factory trigger?
You mentioned feed problems, was this a COAL issue or something else?

We're you able to rework the factory trigger?
You mentioned feed problems, was this a COAL issue or something else?
The trigger had been lightened prior to this work. I dont reload and i dont have the numbers in front of me. But i think i remember correctly in the 6.5 prc is .15-.25 longer than the 270 wsm

Update!

The AG flattop came in, and I got to work building a long overdue stock fixture for the mill.

It's keyed to the table and all the important holes were drilled and tapped once it was clamped in place. It uses the action screw holes as reference and is adjustable from the tiny Howa Mini all the way out to a Mauser length action. I'm able to flip the stock over without losing my datum points which was one of the major goals of the assembly.

The action screw holes were layed out and drilled into the stock.

20230411_195412.jpg
20230411_200037.jpg

The stock was then set up in the newly made fixture and started chasing numbers. I still need to cut the magwell, trigger pocket, inlet the bottom metal, and barrel channel. Cutting up an expensive, long lead time stock isn't stressful at all!

20230412_212740.jpg

20230412_212628.jpg

Update!

The AG flattop came in, and I got to work building a long overdue stock fixture for the mill.

It's keyed to the table and all the important holes were drilled and tapped once it was clamped in place. It uses the action screw holes as reference and is adjustable from the tiny Howa Mini all the way out to a Mauser length action. I'm able to flip the stock over without losing my datum points which was one of the major goals of the assembly.

View attachment 271787
View attachment 271788

The stock was then set up in the newly made fixture and started chasing numbers. I still need to cut the magwell, trigger pocket, inlet the bottom metal, and barrel channel. Cutting up an expensive, long lead time stock isn't stressful at all!

View attachment 271790

View attachment 271791
That is a good looking fixture. Will you be installing pillars? What bottom metal?

Update!

View attachment 271787
View attachment 271788

View attachment 271790

View attachment 271791
The first Snap On dealer . . .
1681412282941.png

Update!

View attachment 271787
View attachment 271788

View attachment 271790

View attachment 271791
That fixture is awesome!

Update!

View attachment 271787
View attachment 271788

View attachment 271790

View attachment 271791

So cool to see the jig in action.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back