Carbon County hunt show

bwalden123

So I'm not sure if this was on the HT radio or Elk Talk podcasts (since I listen to both I don't recall :( ), but Randy went on a hunt in Carbon County and ran into all kinds of issues trying to figure out how to get to the hunting areas and stay off of private land (apparently BLM checkerboard on the map). Did anyone ever contact Carbon Co. and let them know that their online maps were hosed? Just wondering. Keep up the great work guys!

Read the disclaimer for the maps online.
You should contact the Super. for Road and bridge Dept to get correct answers on which roads are in fact public.
Some counties maintain certain private roads for emergencies or the rancher may pay them for the service.
I use their maps fairly regularly, Carbon Co, never had much issue with them.
You looking for pronghorn access ?

You should contact the Super. for Road and bridge Dept to get correct answers on which roads are in fact public.

this doesn't always work in rural wyoming

one time road and bridge told me no
warden told me yes

road and bridge guy was mean
warden was really nice

just something to keep in mind when asking around for what is public

Humm, never had that issue.
I might send another email about that road and get real answers then have a talk with whomever gave me wrong info. Was it the Superintendent that told you no ?
No excuse for that kind of reply.
I'd likely send another email with the GW response and ask specifically why they gave that answer, was it a BLM road or something ?

i think it was the department manager for that county. this was a couple years ago.

the warden was rather annoyed when i told him that's what he said. he said that guy knows better than to tell people that.

the road in question receives a fair amount of inquiries

That sounds about right for the GW response. He, or she, may have had a talk with that guy afterwards. Supers have been quite frank and honest with me on my inquiries.
Hope it worked out for you TOGIE.

i think it was the department manager for that county. this was a couple years ago.

the warden was rather annoyed when i told him that's what he said. he said that guy knows better than to tell people that.

the road in question receives a fair amount of inquiries
Sounds like the Dept Mgr had a hunt planned for that area... :p

Sounds like the Dept Mgr had a hunt planned for that area... :p

precisely along those lines

i've said it before on here. the lesson i learned from that is as a general rule, wardens are on your side (and are the ones who would write the ticket); rural road and bridge department managers who likely are avid hunters, are not so much gonna be on your side (and can't write a ticket).

Read the disclaimer for the maps online.
Some counties maintain certain private roads for emergencies or the rancher may pay them for the service.
I use their maps fairly regularly, Carbon Co, never had much issue with them.
You looking for pronghorn access ?
Oops. Guess I could have done better with the original post. :-( So this was a Hunt Talk Radio show from last December, where Randy was hunting elk and darn near froze to death and had trouble reconciling the county's webpages and onX Hunt and ended up trespassing by accident (turning around after the gate when he realized the error but running into the property owner and having to explain himself). I was just wondering if anyone from the show let the county know their website may have some problems (or maybe onX Hunt has the issue?).

As stated the county maps are not always correct online. OnX can and does have some wrong info as well. They get their data from counties, etc on landownership and only update every few years. OnX will correct if shown their wrong info.
OnX is great but not always correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back