Cap & Ball - Where to Start

mjk21

Looking for guidance on where to start reading about cap/ball handguns. I've been gifted a nice revolver and would like some guidance on where I might start reading about the basics of them, history, equipment needed today etc. for some new fun at the range.
I'm aware of the ammo crises, I'm on a constant search for Hornady ammo but any insight into the this would be appreciated.
Is there a reputable book or website I should be checking out?

Thank you,
mjk21

As a general rule, you'll want FF (or 2F) powder for your revolver.
Same with Pyrodex or any of the other black powder substitutes.
F (1F) powder is mostly used in cannons & muskets.
FFF (3F) is used in flintlock flash pans.

Get a black powder measure. Black powder measures in volume vs weight like smokeless powder.

How much powder depends on the caliber & type of pistol.
IE 36 caliber, 44 caliber etc.
I have 44 caliber Colt Army revolvers, and a 44 caliber Colt Walker.
The Walker can handle 60gr of FF powder. (Musket territory)

Also, while water & vinegar work, i'd recommend a good commercial black powder cleaner. And be prepared to clean it as soon as you get home!
Black powder is corrosive!
Pyrodex isn't much better.

The felt type lubed wads are your friend!
Powder in the cylinder, wad on top, then ball.
The wad does 2 things. (Actually 3)
Biggest thing is it helps prevent chain firing! When you shoot one shot & the powder ignites the other cylinders.
Scary as all get out & potentially dangerous!

Last edited:
Pyrodex fouling is worse, much worse than black.

There are some tricks to loading cap and ball revolver. You might be better served by checking out a "reputable" forum that has a greater number of shooters. https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ is one such place.

You might list where you are at. Some of the best help you could get might come from someone at a local range.

FWIW, I prefer just plain dihydrogen oxide for cleaning. No vinegar to worry about.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back