Canvas Tent Options

brownbear932008

Hey HT I have just purchased my first canvas tent a Montana Canvas that is best I can measure 16’X20’. I got a real steal on it for darn near nothing and the tent looks like it has very little use. Problem is the tent did not include a frame. So I need to make one or go the old pole style if need be. ( I would rather go with a metal frame)
I was wondering if you guy’s could weigh in on some tips, tricks, or anything else that may help? Right now I am leaning towards building a traditional pole frame instead of trying to purchase an angle kit and building a frame out of conduit and angles.
I am thinking the traditional pole design may be more economical than buying angle pieces which the way I count would cost around $300 for just the angles and probably almost that much more for the conduit to complete the frame. Below is a pic of what I am considering unless someone has some better ideas at this point? I know several of you guys have lots of experience in the canvas tent world and would love to hear what you guys have to say on the best routes to handle these things. This one is a chore to move around and work with weighs around 110lbs

Attachments

• canvas-tent-poles.jpg
    canvas-tent-poles.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 217
Not sure if you could find something similar, but we (club I am a member of) bought an awning that was somewhere near that size for $250 that used heavy tarp and bungees, but the frame was bent poles from the fleamarket. It would work perfect for your tent.

I would go right to Montana Canvas, they will have an exact schematic of the poles and angles needed for your tent.

I have the set up in your drawing in the original post, provided with my tent from Denver Tent.

I love it much better than an internal frame with a bunch of angles.

Put plenty of snow and wind on it, and no issues.

I spent this past weekend in an Montana Tent with the internal frame and all the angles. The canvas has shrunk quite a bit, and now we are going to have to do some hacksaw work to get the sod cloth back near the dirt.

Thanks everyone for the replies. JoseCuervo that is also one of the reasons I am looking at the traditional frame set up vs the angle frame. I have read numerous articles where shrinkage has occurred and everything had to been cut or the canvas had to be stretched and such.
I think I am going to attempt to use chain link fence toppers since they slide together and lock for the ridge and Jerry rig some poles for the ridge support poles. I figure I can do this for around $150 or so but it will take some welding. I think Davis has the whole kit for around $200 you speak of Jose.

And when I say "Denver Tent" I probably mean "Davis Tent". I usually after look at their websites to remember which one I prefer and bought from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back