Can't trust your Local power Company...

JoseCuervo

Seems like sometimes, Idaho Power chooses to ignore their environmental responsiblity....
Idaho Power Forced to Pay for New Wetlands
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Monday April 7, 2003
Settlement Agreement Provides Funds For New Wetlands

Source: Idaho Power

A settlement agreement between Idaho Power and
Idaho Rivers United (IRU) will mean an $85,000
contribution by Idaho Power to The Nature Conservancy for new construction of wetlands in the mid-Snake River region.

The agreement ends a dispute between Idaho Power and IRU over Idaho Power’s placement in 2001 of river rock and other material in the Snake River downstream of the company’s Bliss hydroelectric project.

The Nature Conservancy’s project will be a cooperative effort to construct a series of terraced wetlands to treat canal outflow prior to its discharge into the river.

The canal carries wastewater from the City of Jerome, irrigation water and outflow from Blind Canyon Aquaculture, all of which are participating in the project.

The wetlands are expected to have a positive impact on water quality in the Snake River by removing sediments and nutrients from the canal waters before the water is returned to the river.

The project will create approximately 15 acres of critical wetlands habitat in an area where there have been significant wetland losses over the years.

The dispute surrounded the company’s removal of rock that had built up downstream of its Bliss Dam reducing the efficiency of the plant’s turbines.

In their request for a permit to remove the rock, Idaho Power engineers underestimated the amount of material that would have to be removed and subsequently dredged and placed more rock on the river bank than their permit allowed. IRU brought suit under the Clean Water Act.

"This contribution brings closure to this issue and provides a mutually beneficial outcome for our company, IRU and The Nature Conservancy," said Idaho Power Vice President for Power Supply John Prescott.

"It is our goal to operate our hydro facilities in strict compliance with regulatory permits and in an environmentally responsible manner."

"It’s great we could work with Idaho Power to turn this situation into a direct benefit for the Snake River," said Bill Sedivy, executive director of Idaho Rivers United. "The settlement achieves our objectives of protecting and enhancing water quality, and supporting the integrity of the regulatory process."

Idaho Rivers United was represented by Bill Eddie of Advocates for the West, a public interest environmental law firm in Boise.

The settlement awaits approval by the federal court after a review process by the U.S. Department of Justice.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a good deal for wildlife. Thanks to the environmentalists!
biggrin.gif

yep i`ve lived here 47 yrs. and i`ve seen it get worse and worse, i have loved this state and know it well, i used to wonder why all of these older guy`s were so pissed off about getting shut out of some of their favorite hunting spot`s, now i know why! my brother just moved from phx. to cedar,city ut. and he loves it i guess i`ll have to give in to the developer`s eventualy and sell out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back