PEAX Equipment

Can't dial in new rifle

nrpate05

Hey guys, was at the range today breaking in the barrel on my new weatherby vanguard 7mm and was pretty disappointed to learn that I ran out of clicks before being able to get dead on at 25 yards. Initially it was about 11" low and the closest i could get was about 7" low before running out of clicks. This is an issue I've never come across and the range officer gave me some ideas but I'm not sure they make sense. He said I should look into lower rings, but I've only got about 1/3" or so between the scope and barrel. I also figured that shouldn't matter all that much. He also mentioned trying a scope shim, which I haven't heard of. Also, I'm using one piece Talley rings specifically made for the Vanguard, so I figure they should work. I'm stumped on this one. If anyone can shed some light that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks team.

Turn the scope upside down. :D

Wish I could help you. I'm interested in seeing what others suggest though.

I had that problem once.. I had used mismatched front and rear rails, as the gun shop didn't have 2 of the same brand that had the mounting holes in the right spots. Turned out one brand sat slightly higher than the other, which set the scope at an angle. I ordered the correct matching set and all was well.

When I changed out my fixed 4x East German scope with a quick disconnect type base to a more conventional scope mount I discovered that the new rings were designated as anterior and posterior on the model 70. Mounted backwards, it was a no go from the start. Fortunately I figured it out just by looking and seeing the scope tube and the barrel were not parallel.

Later that year I learned another valuable scope lesson: screws can loosen over time.:eek:

I would double check and make sure both the front and rear rings are the same (both lows, mediums, whatever you have). I bought a new set of talley LW lows to put on one of my rifles, mounted the scope and couldn't get enough travel (cant remember if it was up or down) to even get it bore-sighted. I looked and sure as heck, I had one low and one medium ring.

It really isn't that unusual, I have had it happen a couple of times over the years.
just stop at your local gun shop, and they make thin metal shims that can be from about .005 to .025 that get put between the rings and the Scope.

personally I would just let the Gun shop install them, and bore sight it for you. it will save you some hassle.
Problem solved.

Kevin

The bases on my Rem 600 are different sizes. The rear one has a shim for it. My guess is that you have the same deal, but the front base should be in the rear.

All of the above.. Check make sure the front ring is in the front ect. Check you have the same med. low or what ever you bought. If that's correct call Talley. Or shim the front ring up. It's not that uncommon to have to shim. That being said having to shim Talley mounts would surprise me.

A scopes reticle is usually centered in the adjustment range from the factory. Might check that also. mtmuley

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have looked into everything mentioned. The bases match in height and they are correctly on the front and rear. I may try the shim, but it kind of just bothers me to have to do that with rings that are made specifically for the rifle. Also, I assumed shim the rear to bring it up, but have gun mentions shimming the front. Could someone explain? Thinking about just getting different rings and bases but not sure. Will go to gun shop tomorrow and talk to the guys. Thanks again all. Happy Easter!

Shims

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have looked into everything mentioned. The bases match in height and they are correctly on the front and rear. I may try the shim, but it kind of just bothers me to have to do that with rings that are made specifically for the rifle. Also, I assumed shim the rear to bring it up, but have gun mentions shimming the front. Could someone explain? Thinking about just getting different rings and bases but not sure. Will go to gun shop tomorrow and talk to the guys. Thanks again all. Happy Easter!

Using shims is really no big deal, gun shops have been doing it for ages. the first time I had to have a shim on a Scope was close to 40 years ago, and it is not a problem at all.
if you put a shim on the bottom of the scope on the rear ring, you put 1 on top of the scope on the front ring, or vise versa depending on which way it needs to go. at-least that is how I was told to do it.

Kevin

dont shim, you probably have rem 700 rings and they dont work on vanguards contrary to what some things list.(holes line up but height is little off) call talley and tell them your problem (803) 854-5700, i bet they make you happy and solve the problem but may take a few days with shipping. good luck

I just saw the part about it being a Vanguard.. The rifle I had trouble with was a Howa1500, which I believe shares many of the same components with the vanguard. Again, I ordered a scope rail specifically for the Howa, and it solved my problem.

Try shimming under the scope on the rear mount. That will make it appear to be aimed lower, causing you to raise the rifle to hit the bull. This will allow you to lower the cross hairs with the dial to get back on track. Pretty common. If it doesn't quite make it use a slightly thicker shim. As far as shimming on TOP of the scope, this won't ever change a thing. That is just putting the shim under a cap and won't move the scope at all. Of course, if you have the wrong rings/bases then go for the right ones first.

I had that problem once.. I had used mismatched front and rear rails, as the gun shop didn't have 2 of the same brand that had the mounting holes in the right spots. Turned out one brand sat slightly higher than the other, which set the scope at an angle. I ordered the correct matching set and all was well.

I had the exact same thing happen with a Weathrby Mark V. Ordered mounts from a reputable outdoor retailer and they were mismatched in a seemingly unopened package.

Good luck!

First thing I'd try is swapping the front and rear mount. If that doesn't work. Shimming either ring will help. Shim the bottom of the rear ring and the top of the front ring.

I spent 3 years working for a reputable sporting goods retailer, and have seen about everything. Just going to throw this out there... Make sure your scope is mounted correctly with the windage turret on the right hand side of the optic. I would see scopes mounted 90 degrees off so frequently that it scared me. Even some than had been mounted by other members of our staff......... Many of of these could not be boresighted, and either sat WAY low, or WAY left. Sad to say, but I even threw the first scope on my then new 10/22 with the windage turret up. We are all human, it's just worth checking though...

It may also be a scope issue. What is the scope/is this the first rifle it's been mounted to? If all you were able to get it to move at 25yds was 4" that translates to only 16 MOA internal adjustment. If the scope was at the mechanical middle of the range, that is only 32 MOA total travel. I don't know of anyone who makes a scope with that small an amount of adjustment range.

If you are using Talley rings, give them a call. They have a really solid reputation in the industry and may have other advice. I use Talley's on every rifle I have that they make rings for, and have yet to have an issue with their mounting hardware, unlike every other system I've used.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back