Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Canned Wild Pigs

JTHOMP

We got 4 pigs in the trap last Sunday and it was a good time to try out my canner. My brother and I shared the meat and aside from 2 shoulders I canned all mine. Made 3 batches for a total of 19 quarts of future meals. These pigs were as fat as domestic pigs. I trimmed most of the fat but wasn’t too picky and there is a lot of oil that rendered in the jars. Interested to see how deer or leaner pigs will turn out.

D34C1439-7B06-46FE-9CA0-E94E7715049E.jpeg

Ingredients were cubed meat, red onion, garlic cloves, jalapeños, and 1 heaping tablespoon of Tony’s. In the first batch I added water to the one inch mark in each jar. The second and third was straight meat, which I think I prefer.

D418D5DC-7C25-4EF6-9E5A-3120DFE1853B.jpeg

The jars look terrible but smell and taste amazing. Meat is tender and moist. Put it on a piece of bread and it’s a sandwhich that’s second to none.

CDCD94F7-B4E9-4B17-BFB7-1AB582738D37.jpeg

Alright, I have got to try this this year. My mom canned stuff my whole life but she never canned meat, so it never crossed my mind. In my neck of the woods I don’t know anyone who does and never even heard of it until a while back, I think on a meateater podcast. I’m extremely intrigued. What’s the shelf life like on this?

Alright, I have got to try this this year. My mom canned stuff my whole life but she never canned meat, so it never crossed my mind. In my neck of the woods I don’t know anyone who does and never even heard of it until a while back, I think on a meateater podcast. I’m extremely intrigued. What’s the shelf life like on this?
I had some canned pronghorn that got shoved to the back of the cupboard that was almost two years and it was just fine.
When canning meat, make sure to use an actual pressure canner. The hot water bath method is fine for high acid veggies, but won't get hot enough to kill possible bacteria.

I had some canned pronghorn that got shoved to the back of the cupboard that was almost two years and it was just fine.
When canning meat, make sure to use an actual pressure canner. The hot water bath method is fine for high acid veggies, but won't get hot enough to kill possible bacteria.
I figured as much, most of my families canning involved stuff that was essentially almost already cooked, never completely raw ingredients. The canning in this case is the cooking process. Apparently canned meat is a thing all over the country but somehow it skipped right over everyone I know in northwest LA!

I figured as much, most of my families canning involved stuff that was essentially almost already cooked, never completely raw ingredients. The canning in this case is the cooking process. Apparently canned meat is a thing all over the country but somehow it skipped right over everyone I know in northwest LA!

I recently heard of it over the past year from the forum, meateater, etc, nobody local. Even asked my 92 year old grandmother and they didn't can meat just vegetables. She did say there were places people would bring their meat and have it canned similar to people bringing their corn to a mill.
I'm still trying to make room in the freezer for this hunting season and we got more meat on ground the we can fit. Two birds with one stone. Sounds terrible, but I'm hesitant on sharing meat that I killed with people because I'm afraid it will be lost within the depths of a freezer (as I've found numerous times at my mom and grandma's house). It's surprising how hard it has been to give away pigs that we have trapped. But another benefit of the canned meat is I think it's easier to share with people that would normally neglect with wild game.

It's surprising how hard it has been to give away pigs that we have trapped

No kidding! There is only so much meat a family can eat. A few years back I could easily get rid of pigs but now it is hard to find people who want them unless you have already taken them to a finished product. Everyone says they want them until they realize there is some work involved. I don’t have the time nor money to make sausage for all of Bossier Parish! The real problem is we have more pigs in this state then we have freezer space for. I would have thought something like canning meat would have been prevalent in the deep south but none of my family ever did it and they can everything.

Those r some beautiful pigs!!!! Never canned em though!!! Will have to give it a go!!!
Have canned deer though w great results.
Thanks For the idea, always got fresh pork running around here!!!

Those r some beautiful pigs!!!! Never canned em though!!! Will have to give it a go!!!

A few years back I could easily get rid of pigs but now it is hard to find people who want them unless you have already taken them to a finished product. Everyone says they want them until they realize there is some work involved. I don’t have the time nor money to make sausage for all of Bossier Parish! The real problem is we have more pigs in this state then we have freezer space for. I would have thought something like canning meat would have been prevalent in the deep south but none of my family ever did it and they can everything.

Everyone wants you to save them a quarter or come bring them the pig. I ain't working for somebody's free food especially when it's 90 degrees and got to tend to them quick before they spoil. Plus this was Sunday morning of Labor Day weekend, so most people were going to church or had other plans.

After seeing your posts on sausage I wish I was better setup or had freezer space and made straight sausage out of these pigs. By far the fattest wild pigs I've seen. It was hot and I was skinning as fat as I could so didn't save a lot of the fat, but they were thick. I got a few slabs of fat save from deboning. If it was cooler I would've taken my time and tried to save the fat for mix or oil.

Big fan of canning meat. I canned over 100 lbs of elk a few years ago and it was fantastic and super convenient. Wish I lived close by because I'd happily take a few pigs and happily process them. Awesome to see how the canned pig worked out. Well done.

Looks awesome! My mom and I used to can Antelope Stew and other game dishes. What a great aroma through the house. I would take it hunting, to work, or just camping. People would turn their nose up at it until I got them to try it. Then they wanted it every year. I haven't got into canning since my mom passed, but I sure miss it.

i have been canning almost all my venison and elk for yrs. you can pickup used pressure cookers often on craigslist/facebook marketplace for dirt cheap, jars also. Just a little bit of youtube research and canning groups on facebook and you are off and running. I have 3 pressure cookers and I can butcher a deer into cubed meat and have it canned in about 2.5 hrs. while i am butchering, my first batch of 7 qts is cooking and by the time I am done butchering i got the second batch of 7qts cooking. Also, when canning venison you dont have to do nearly as much trimming the meat as the sinew/silver skin will basically disintegrate in the canner.

I never tried canning before. I always worry about my game meat in my chest freezer during hurricane season. The loss of electric for 5-10 days in 95 degree weather would be gonzo for it. But before I let it go to waste I would feed the neighbors. This year all I have left is some burger. Funny how the loins get ate up first.
It would be good to have some of it in a shelf stable situation. If theres not a thread on canning game there should be.

I never tried canning before. I always worry about my game meat in my chest freezer during hurricane season. The loss of electric for 5-10 days in 95 degree weather would be gonzo for it. But before I let it go to waste I would feed the neighbors. This year all I have left is some burger. Funny how the loins get ate up first.
It would be good to have some of it in a shelf stable situation. If theres not a thread on canning game there should be.

Best advice I can give is that it is easier than you probably realize. I had a deer back leg quarter (minus the shank) that has been in the freezer since last October. Thawed it out to make room for new meat and to use it. Cubed it and put it in 5 quart jars. Not quite enough meat to fill 6 jars. I'm desperately lacking a trip to the store to get seasonings, but I added red onion and garlic, Worcestershire sauce, zatarian's hot sauce, and salt free blacken seasoning. Put the burner on high until the canner reaches 15psi the turn it down so it holds steady. Then just wait 90 minutes. Looking forward to trying it out at lunch today.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back