Yeti GOBOX Collection

Canada waterfowl hunt

waterfowljunkie

Me and a couple friends are planning a free lance hunting trip to Canada this year. I found a guy in Saskatoon that will rent me an enclosed trailer full of decoys n layout blinds for $1000 for a WK. That is well worth it to me not 2 have to pull a trailer all the way up there. I just don't know the area. Are there plenty of birds in that area and when is the best time to go. Any advice will be helpful!!!

are you chasing geese or ducks primarily? Snows or Canada's or specks?

I have hunted the middle of Oct mostly when I go north. I have done both free lance and guided and to be honest I probably will never free lance up there any more. By the time you pay all the fuel and time to scout and get permission and find a place to stay and eat etc etc it is almost the exact same cost. I know there is something to be said for doing it yourself and I enjoy it as well. Given the limited amount of time you usually get to hunt up there guided is just a better deal IMO.

Check price of gas or diesel before you go and how many miles you are going to put on.

Crossing the border is a piece of cake as long as nobody in your party has a DUI.

Nemont

We shouldn't have any trouble at the border. Our main goal is Canadians with a side of mallards. We are not really worried about snows. It looks like we will b going the first WK of October. I know its hard 2 say from year to year but are the birds in the Saskatoon area during that time or do we need to travel north south eat or west to find Canadians and mallards

Id head towards quill lakes somewhere. I know its been dry the past few years so the migration has changed a bit. With a day of driving you should be able to find birds.

Thanks for the tip! Is it hard to find lodging Up there or can we just drive til we find birds and then worry bout finding a place to stay?

. Our main goal is Canadians

You will find Canadians on every street corner, the Canada Geese are more difficult to find.

From what I see, every year is different. I don't target Canada's when I am up there because I shoot enough of them down here. I hunt white geese and specks usually and then afternoons is either duck hunting or fishing.

The Quill Lakes area is a cool area as well.

Nemont

See we are the opposite. A Canada goose is almost unheard of and mallards are few and far between. So that's why we are heading to canads

All you need for the dog is the rabies vaccine certificate from your Vet.

I have hunted Quill Lakes area many times....lots more people there than when I started, more hunters and harder to get permission. Hunted N of Saskatoon once but used a guide service since I did not know area....late Sept.....coming off tundra dumb.....whacked big Canadas and ducks big time.

Plans have changed a little bit. We are going to have to go either the last WK of September or the 2nd WK of October. Which WK would b better for the Saskatoon area?

I'd agree about doing a guided hunt at least to start. We've done several guided snow goose hunts in So Dak & Neb in order to learn certain area's and get info that would otherwise take a lot of DIY hunting. We've since done several free lance hunts in the same areas that worked out great. We still have most of the gas costs, lodging etc., so it usually cheaper for us. Wouldn't be any different in Canada...

I have been hunting waterfowl in Saskatchewan DIY for over 15 years. I would go the first week of October. Take a look at the Duck Lake/Rosthern area on Rt. #11 between Saskatoon and Prince Albert. It has been good to us in past years.

Back