Can the 280AI Really Be this good! What is your experience with it?

Mustangs Rule

I bought my 280AI about two years ago, pretty much just as the Covid problem began. Getting the best recommended powders was not possible, so I made do with what I had.

Performance was OK, not great, not bad, right in between the 7mm Rem mag and a 280 Remington.

Then I got the best recommended powders, good heavens has this cartridge taken off.

On the internet I am getting bits and pieces of other hunters/reloaders having the same great experience.

I just worked up a safe max load with R-19 and the 140 grain Barnes TTSX. It is going 3182’/sec. Right there with the 7mm Rem mag max of 3199’/sec. only doing it with up to 17 grains of powder less.

The 280AI seems too good to be true. I have it in a 5 ¾ pound Kimber hunter with pencil thin stainless match grade barrel. Paid $780 for it. Recoil is really easy on the shoulder. First two shots stay in a dime at 100 yards. Third shot takes the group to a quarter as it heats up.

I am working up loads for 150 and 160 grain bullets now and again seeing it will be right there with the 7 Rem mag. With way less powder and recoil in a light accurate rifle.

At 74, this is an irristable one rifle do it all combination. I forget I am carrying it.

Let’s hear your experience with it.

I have been wanting a 280AI for years, and I have been collecting parts for one…for years. I am now in month 7 of the wait for a barrel and, as soon as that arrives, everything will be off to the gunsmith.

I plan on shooting 168 to 180 gr bullets in mine.

My first 280 AI shot 120gr TTSX at 3400FPS with IMR 4350 into 1/2 inch groups. I sold that barrel to some chap.

My new 280AI is getting worked up with 169gr Hammers over N560 and I'll also work up a load with lighter bullets as well.

Nothing but love for the cartridge.

My first 280 AI shot 120gr TTSX at 3400FPS with IMR 4350 into 1/2 inch groups. I sold that barrel to some chap.

My new 280AI is getting worked up with 169gr Hammers over N560 and I'll also work up a load with lighter bullets as well.

Nothing but love for the cartridge.
25 Roy'ish...efficiently

Yup, they are pretty awesome.

Mine really likes the 155 terminal ascent loads from Federal. They are devistating on the critters at close and long range.

Had a Howa 270 sitting unused in the safe that is ready for a 280ai carbon barrel, Mc Killian Game Warden stock, and a new trigger.
Now if I could just get the magic combo of Time + Money at the same moment to do it.
If I was a thinking man I'd go ahead and get the suppressor enroute via al local maker but alas I'm a procrastinating idiot most of my days.

Has anyone found a good folding, UL stick for LA Howas yet?

Shooting 168 VLDH and 7828 for 2950 fps from my build I worked up a load for last month. 25" barrel.

Had a Howa 270 sitting unused in the safe that is ready for a 280ai carbon barrel, Mc Killian Game Warden stock, and a new trigger.
Now if I could just get the magic combo of Time + Money at the same moment to do it.
If I was a thinking man I'd go ahead and get the suppressor enroute via al local maker but alas I'm a procrastinating idiot most of my days.

Has anyone found a good folding, UL stick for LA Howas yet?
I was going to recommend the XLR Element, but I see they only do the SA for Howa 🤷‍♂️

What barrel length?
24"...I think Cabelas/Kimber may have listed it as 23 with a brake. This is the same load that I had been using with Hornady brass but Peterson seems to squeak out about 100fps more juice...I have had QC problems with Hornady brass so I am slowing switching everything I can away from them. I have also added a 1/4 turn of the Lee Crimp die to my process which may have helped.

Guys who are using both RL26 and RL23 will get about 3150 with 22" barrels...RL23 needs a droptube

There is nothing magic about the 280ai. It doesn't get the same velocities as 7 RM with less powder at the same pressure levels. Sure, you can game the #'s to make it look good by using an ideal velocity powder on the 280ai and a modest choice on 7RM. Basic physics apply to it just like every other cartridge. That said, I think the 280ai / 7 SAUM case size and bore diameter hit a real sweet spot in performance. The combination of slippery .284 bullets that weigh less than slippery 30 cal bullets and burning low 60s grains of powder make for a very potent combo in drop and wind drift without the recoil of a 30 mag.

280AI 143HH with RL26. Strong brass allows me to really push it but a potential for reduced brass life...this is my initial load testing. I ended up with 62.5 as my load as RL26 can express pressure spikes at high temps
View attachment 229244

I'm shooting 145 Cutting edge lazers with my 22" 7 SAUM over h4350 at 3050 fps. Its very accurate and consistent and much more friendly on the shoulder than my 180 grain loads over heavier charges of h1000 but your velocities are enticing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back