MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Can Someone Explain Neck Shots To Me?

Ok, I appreciate the responses, but I STILL have no clue where one would aim for a neck shot.

Again, I am not looking for pros/cons/ethics. It's probably a shot I would never take. Mostly for the reason that I'm afraid I'd hit it through the throat.

So, does anyone have a diagram or picture or something that shows EXACTLY where and where NOT to aim for a neck shot?

Emrah

From what I've seen, there are very few times a bullet will sneak through somewhere in the neck without putting a critter down. I do not take the shot intentionally if I have other options, but I've taken it a time or two when I didn't and have also, well...hit a few in the neck when i was indeed trying for the shoulder... all of them dropped in their tracks.

From the base of the skull, down to where the neck meets the body... couple inches off the ridgeline there, to a couple inches from the bottom of the neck... mostly all vital. Hit them in the throat... they die...

skeleton_1.jpg

In the above diagram, it appearsh there is a small area near the top of the neck, near the body, that could take a bullet without raising heck... or if you hit him really low in the neck, under the esophogas and jugular and such....
Maybe the elk has a little more dead space there??
elk-anatomy.jpg

So anyhow... google, "elk vitals" or something like that. and click the "images" tab on the google page and you'll get about 2.2 zillion pics like these.

What do you mean, 'you have no clue?' Afraid to shoot through the throat? Nice pics here HornSeeker.

You just need to hunt more, get more seasoned, and get more comfortable with your weapon my friend. A neck shot is .... a neck shot. The neck, bone, runs up and where it meets the skull.... 'X' marks your spot.
>You hunt more, you will know more about the animal you are hunting and where an ethical shot should be placed.
>Shoot more, and you will know where you shoot, AND if you can hit your mark.
>Kill more, and you will know their anatomy 1st hand!

Last edited:
He always told us to aim at the base of the neck where the neck and head meet. You wouldn't want to shoot much lower than a foot down from this location towards the shoulder because you'll probably get more meat than anything and possibly loose the animal. .

I thought I explained where and how I aim on neck pretty well:confused: Looking at hornseekers diagrams it seems about right. Aim for the base where the neck and head meet. You should have a solid foot of cushion down the neck towards the shoulder. Anywhere in the middle of that 1 foot area and the animal is stone dead. The downside is that usually your cape is toast. But if you want a dead animal with minimal meat loss then shoot them in the neck.

Too me it's no more risky than taking a broad side shot. There's just as much risk of hitting the guts or blowing off the front leg on a broadside shot. If you can't at least hit a pie plate with your rifle then your screwed no matter what shot you take. If you can shoot baseball sized groups your golden.

Last edited:
Ok, that's what I was looking for. Thanks for the diagrams. I just wasn't sure WHAT did the killing with a neck shot: the shock, broken spine, or actual blood loss as with a heart/lung shot. It seems people say that hitting a deer anywhere in the neck is like an instant OFF switch. That was my confusion.

Emrah

I had a history teacher that was shot in war. I remember his telling us that watching people get shot on TV is not how it happens, You don't grab your stomach and then look at the spot of blood on your hand. He said there is an incredible amount of shock. He said like knock you on your butt shock. I'm sure that along with drilling the spine is what is so devasting about a high neck shot.

Neck shot kill area on a deer: about 2 inches
Neck shot kill area on an elk: about 3 inches
A miss to either side of the spine... animal walks off, doesn't bleed much and dies where you can't find it.

"Vitals" shot (heart, lung, liver) kill area on a deer: about 9 inches
"Vitals" shot on an elk: about 11 inches
If you miss the vitals the animal can still walk off and die leaving you with the task of trying to find it. But the blood trail will probably be much better and the target is 400% larger.

I can't argue the fact that a neck shot with perfect placement will drop an animal in it's tracks. It's the shot that isn't perfect that we have to plan for.

Unless it's standing right in front of you at really close, can't possibily miss range I think I'd opt for the bigger target. After all it's our responsibility as hunters to take the shot that stands the best chance of recovery if it goes wrong.

But then again I also think that shots at ranges like 600 or 1000 yards on an animal are irresponsible, save those for steel pigs. I don't care how much you practice or what cartridge you use. Too many variables out that far to feel confident that it will be a good shot.

Last edited:
Back