Caribou Gear

Can I vent??

D

Deacon

Time to vent a little and voice a small pet peeve.
Could we please refrain from referring to antelope as "speed goats"? Don't know why, but that really gets old to me. They are antelope or pronghorns (more accurately) but, to be honest, I've never heard anyone where I live call em "speedgoats". That's a catchy name but sounds to me like somethinga "dude" would say and I would guess that if you come to my part of the country and use the term you'll be looked at at though you have some wierd, contagious disease.
Ok, I'm done.

I agree Deacon!! I think our Weesianner buddy started it and it has spread like wildfire!!! I totally agree!!!! I may have even termed them that way myself inadvertantly!!!
frown.gif
bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

[This message has been edited by bcat (edited 02-28-2001).]

That works for me.
smile.gif
I always called em antelope. I had never heard them call em speedgoats until I started posting on message boards. The only question I have is, aren't they a goat and not a true antelope? Don't matter though, I think pronghorn or antelope sounds better.
cool.gif

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

Terry.
Here is some more of my trivia that means nothing.
smile.gif
Actually the Pronghorn are the only one in their family. Their official funny name is Antilocapra americana Which means antelope-goat but they are really neither. As for what we call them I personally like the Prarie Ghost, makes them sound mysterious. LOL sheCat

This is the first place I've heard them called Speed goats. In Wyoming the term I picked up was Prairie goat. Which is close to what the actually are than an antelope, I'm told. I've just called them goats for so long, I don't think I can remeber Antelope all the time. But for you, Deacon, I'll try. Now, what about wapati?
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

Maybe you guy's don't get out much.LOL I have heard that term used for the Antelope quite a bit.
The first time I heard it used I didnt know what the heck the guy was talking about.He happened to be an old farm boy in Idaho.I thought maybe he was breeding some kind of supper goat for roping.Like maybe he couldnt afford a steer to rope.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Debbie

I personally like to refer to them as 'lopes....are more specifically....Smokin' Lopes!.....which is what they are after I perforate them!
biggrin.gif

...sorry Chambo and Sparky if that brings up a bad memory,.....I relly was gonna bring some!
DS

DS,

If you had said you didn't have room for it , I think Spark and I would have believed you.
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT
http://www.hunttalk.com

Some time back I had a friend out in far west Texas who raised goats. He also had a few antelope on the place. When talking about them the references was to goats (his) and government goats (antelope).
BCR

------------------
A .45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERY TIME

A buddy of mine and I pulled antelope tags for N.E. Kalif., several years ago. One night, we left camp and drove to a little crossroads town and went into a bar for a drink. There were several buckaroos from the ranches around there, having a drink. One of them looked at us and asked, "Are you boys huntin' them cantalopes?"

We said we were, and the man invited us onto his ranch the next day to hunt. The ranchers and farmers didn't like "cantalopes" as they ate lots of their alfalfa.

Maybe I'll put in for an Idaho "cantalope" tag this fall.

L.W.

I like Pronghorn because it is a respectful name. I dislike the slang terms for most animals. But my 3 year old does call them cantalopes. :^) Ron

I lived in SW Wy. from '85- '98, and heard them refered to 'speed goats" a lot. I don't know whether it was locals or transplants or both. But, I've found such things with many different species of animals.You can move a few hundred miles and the "slang terms" can change rather dramatically. Just my observation!-memtb

Hey moosie, up here sheep are known as prairy maggots! They're also called targets by some!

[This message has been edited by Deacon (edited 03-02-2001).]

Don't you remember that old '50's song by the Ames Brothers? "Ewe, Ewe, Ewe, I'm in love with Ewe, Ewe, Ewe"

Chambo....didn't see your reply for a few days, buddy. ....and yes, that answer too!!!!!!!

I didn't have room, what with the 4 wheelers, stoves, tent, guns, gear, chairs, enough food for 20, and amap!
biggrin.gif

But like they say, it's the thought that counts....and I THOUGHT I packed the smoked lope!
biggrin.gif

SORRY!
DS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back