Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Can a bear snarl....

Mountain Boomer

I was watching National Geographic or something one time and they said a bear couldn't snarl its lips to show its teeth. They said he could open his mouth and show them but not snarl like a K-9. Any truth to this?

I don't know either, but hope I never find out the hard way....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
polarbear2.gif

When you got a bear treed alot of them will pop there teeth, it can be purty loud to, between popping there teeth and whoofin a few times, drives dogs nuts

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

Boomer you are right.A bear can't snarl.Their mouth is ether open or closed.And they don't growl ether!!!!!
They will pop there teeth woof and moan.
They really moan when you put a hole in there boiler room.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Never seen a bear snarl .As GatoMan and Tobey said....they can really pop their teeth and woof at ya...can really intimidate a fellar....lol

I'm afraid I've got to call B.S. on the not growling part to some degree. Maybe it's what one person defines as growling, but I've got on video tape cubs growling at each other. Also have heard some pretty serious growl sounds out of brown bears on video tape right after they've been shot especially with an arrow. Maybe a roar would be a better way to put it, but it sure as heck isn't a woofing. I also had a large boar throw a fit near my tree stand a few years ago when the sow he wanted left him high and dry. He busted tree's, branches, popped his teeth, and made a ton of vocal sounds. Sure as hell sounded like growling to me.

I guess next time I will say Black Bear when I talk bears.I don't know about browns or griss I have never been close and personal with any.I have however been real close to black bear in some hair raising situations.When a bear is wounded or dying he give out a moan,(same as a deer blatting)When a sow talks to her cubs she woofs at them.When a Black bear gets mad they pop their teeth and woof.They will also blow when they woof some times.
Maybe they do growl but I have never herd one
and I have been real close to about 30 a year for the last 25 years.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

As Big Sky said they do growl. Its more of a throat growl verses a dogs growl (with teethe showing and all that). Bears can be very "talkative".

I was Sitting in a tree stand once when a MOMMA bear came in "CLICKING" or popping her Jaw... The first time I heard that It sent CHILLS down my Spine WOW!!!!

Anyways, I'm Alsonot sure on the GRowling thing ?!?!!

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Back