Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Camp gun for moose hunt in Canada

A207X2

Next year I'll be doing an 8-day moose hunt in N. Alberta. It will be myself and a guide, and I'm looking to do a spike camp. I will have either a Browning BAR 30-06 with a Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 Firedot or a Henry 45-70 with a Leupold VX5-HD 1-5x24 Firedot (haven't decided which one yet). Each has a 4 shot capacity. I cannot take a handgun into Canada so I'm thinking of bringing my Ithaca Model 37 Defense 12-gauge 7+1 shotgun. In the unlikely event that I need to get to a firearm in an emergency (predator) at night, it will be very difficult to shoot one of the rifles with a riflescope on it in the dark, whereas my Ithaca has a light on it and a red dot. I'm planning on using slugs (probably 2 3/4" although my gun can accept 3").

Does that plan make sense? I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Next year I'll be doing an 8-day moose hunt in N. Alberta. It will be myself and a guide, and I'm looking to do a spike camp. I will have either a Browning BAR 30-06 with a Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 Firedot or a Henry 45-70 with a Leupold VX5-HD 1-5x24 Firedot (haven't decided which one yet). Each has a 4 shot capacity. I cannot take a handgun into Canada so I'm thinking of bringing my Ithaca Model 37 Defense 12-gauge 7+1 shotgun. In the unlikely event that I need to get to a firearm in an emergency (predator) at night, it will be very difficult to shoot one of the rifles with a riflescope on it in the dark, whereas my Ithaca has a light on it and a red dot. I'm planning on using slugs (probably 2 3/4" although my gun can accept 3").

Ask the guide what he's packing.

Don't worry about it. The outfitter will have that covered. You fret about bears that much and you'll never get to sleep at night. Been there. The outfitter will likely have a dog in camp to give fair warning in the unlikely event a bear pokes around.

I do NOT advise taking the magnum BAR. I have borrowed my brother's a couple of times when my gun crapped out. BAR is probably the most out of balance hunting rifle out there. Carrying that thing in the ready position will absolutely kill your left shoulder and back. Too much weight too far forward on those guns and they are HEAVY. Pheasant hunting I carry an old Browning A-5 Magnum Twelve all day long and it never bothers me. I'm guessing both guns are about the same weight but the A-5 balances where the fore end meets the receiver. I suppose if your moose hunt is a sit and call them in affair it won't make much difference. But if you expect to chase them around, you might want to consider another gun.

Maybe try strapping on a headlamp at night and take your rifle outside to see what it looks like. I'd think between you and the guide you'll be fine as is. Two or more grown men wirh rifles should be enough firepower to kill or run off whatever is out there.

Throw in some bear spray if you're that concerned about your rifle accuracy in the dark. I personally wouldn't want to lug around another gun unless I thought there was a VERY high likelihood of grizzly encounters.

Always remember you don't have to be faster than the bear just faster than the other guy. 😁😁
I suffer from this problem of not being able to resist an opportunity for some type of joke.

With that said. I would take the .45-70. If that's what the guide is packing you at least have same caliber. Like others said let the guide handle the bears that's his neck of the woods. If your absolutely worried about bears see if you can fashion a flashlight to rifle at night.
I have a sig Sauer on my throat clear defensive rifle and I can see with flashlight mounted on for end.

Maybe try strapping on a headlamp at night and take your rifle outside to see what it looks like. I'd think between you and the guide you'll be fine as is. Two or more grown men wirh rifles should be enough firepower to kill or run off whatever is out there.

Throw in some bear spray if you're that concerned about your rifle accuracy in the dark. I personally wouldn't want to lug around another gun unless I thought there was a VERY high likelihood of grizzly encounters.
That’s a great point. I’m overthinking this. Thanks.

I would not take an extra gun into Canada. Take the rifle that you are going to use for your hunt, and a reasonable supply of bullets. Nothing additional.

I would take the Browning .30-06 for three reasons.
1) It’s a browning
2) It’s a .30-06
3) The 3x scope could be nice to have.

I guess that’s what I’d be paying for the guide to take care of and I’d pack another bottle of Rye and a couple more cigars.

Take the heaviest, most powerful, uncomfortable-to-pack, least-fun-to-shoot, awkwardly handling rifle you can find ... then you likely won't even see a bear and wished you'd packed more Rye and smokes! ;)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back