Camo comparison

wytex

Thought I would do a little experiment. Hung my various camo articles of clothing in front of some cover then back into the cover to see how it looks.
I wear a mix of King of the Mountain wool, Core4element, Kryptic camo and some cotton Realtree Max-1 and Mossy oak Brush.
Low, cloudy light for the 1st pic and the sun came out for the second pic.
DSCN3150 copy.jpg
DSCN3161 copy.jpg
DSCN3167 copy.jpg

if you're conscience of your movements and the wind camo doesn't really matter...IMO most are too dark in an attempt to get too detailed. Last night i was wearing a green t shirt and brown pants and had deer walk right by me and only noticed me when they literally tried to walk through me.

EDIT: I don't discount the validity of camo just I put a lot less of an emphasis on it. Typically it's a shirt or jacket with earth tone pants.

Last edited:
I've had elk at noise's length from myself, I'll not be throwing away my camo any time soon. Movement seems to be key though.

I attach a lot more significance to camo with birds than I do big game for obvious reasons.

Holding still and staying on the right side of the wind are by far most important. That being said, shadows make a huge difference. You can readily see the differences in amount of shadow on individual pieces in your photos. That one piece is even backlit and has quite a shiny edge. Also, getting even a couple small branches in front of you can really break up your outline. The actual pattern makes little difference, although I usually look for a dull, sagebrush pattern versus one that has tree trunks across my body.

The other thing that I think is perhaps overlooked is the fabric brighteners in laundry detergent. Their purpose is to make colors bright and vivid, which is exactly the opposite of what we want. Add in the difference in how animals and humans see colors and UV light, and I suspect that we look like lightbulbs more often than we realize.

QQ

Looks good. I have satisfactoriily used King OF The Mountain wool camo hunting elk in the Rockies. A word or two of caution. Twenty or thirty years ago when camo useage began to come back in vogue i bumped into a couple of chaps on their first African adventure. It was in Tanzania as I recall. They had just arrived and i was reluctantly on my way home after a month of safari. They had new camo attire made of polyester material. I questioned if the polyester reflected sunlight. We sent two camp staff out to a couple hundred yards one dressed in my faded khaki Egyptian cottons and one in spanking new camo. You could not see the fellow in my old clothes yet the other‘s new camo shown like a tin roof in the bright sun. I suspect this issue has been corrected by these times, but might be worth checking. I am 82 so my hunting days are pretty much over. As i recall, a few decades ago in many African countries camo could only be legally worn by military. Now everywhere everyone wears it. Kindest Regards

Holding still and staying on the right side of the wind are by far most important. That being said, shadows make a huge difference. You can readily see the differences in amount of shadow on individual pieces in your photos. That one piece is even backlit and has quite a shiny edge. Also, getting even a couple small branches in front of you can really break up your outline. The actual pattern makes little difference, although I usually look for a dull, sagebrush pattern versus one that has tree trunks across my body.

The other thing that I think is perhaps overlooked is the fabric brighteners in laundry detergent. Their purpose is to make colors bright and vivid, which is exactly the opposite of what we want. Add in the difference in how animals and humans see colors and UV light, and I suspect that we look like lightbulbs more often than we realize.

QQ
I think that black lit piece just happen to catch the sunlight just right and it shows how you can stand out in sunlight.
I'm careful to not use detergent with any UV brighteners. Some clothing gets the UV wash treatment before use.
That KOM has been worn for about 25 years or so.
I think the major improvement in camo is not the patterns but the materials used now. I agree busy patterns are not necessary, I do like the contrasts of light and dark hues in any pattern though.
Just though it would be interesting to see how it looks against a natural back ground.
Spouse took these pics in the field last year, I simply stepped back beside the small pine. Might have to do something about the bow, see how it looks un natural to the setting .
DSCN2813 copy.jpg
DSCN2814 copy.jpg

I hunt more in plain clothes more every year I hunt...makes me a better hunter paying attention to sky-lined, shadows, movement, noise, eyes, and other more important factors

This thread got me to thinking about that idiotic hunting show that is nothing but a commercial for HECS camo.
If their clothing really did emit an electromagnetic field that made you invisible to animals, why would the clothing need to be camo of any kind? :unsure:
I guess there really are suckers born every minute. 🤪

lots of people buying based on camo patterns, Not me.

I think most camo is like fishing lures, made to catch customers. That being said I’m guilty of buying wayyy too much camo, and fishing lures.

But nice job on the comparison. Always fun to see what it looks like against different backgrounds

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back