Caribou Gear Tarp

Camera help

hardscrabble

My wife and I are looking at getting a SLR camera, it will be our first one. We are hoping to stay in the 1K range. I think I have narrowed it down to the Nikon D5000 or the Canon T1i. I am thinking of getting a package deal with a 55-200mm lens, I figure that would be enough zoom for family pics and general purpose photo's like my wife would like to take. Does anybody have any thoughts on which camera would be the best fit?

Thanks, Ed

I just picked up a Nikon D90 kit (18-105mm VR) for just $1,050 IIRC. I have only shot a couple hundred pictures and lots to learn, but so far very happy. Good luck

I will vote for the Canon and the EF lenses. The variety of lenses available in the EF series is what tips the scale for me.

They are both good cameras. You should be way under $1000 if you go to Costco and buy it.

I've been looking at these too, but with a lower budget. All of my research has boiled down to two points: Buy something that feels good to you (or your wife) and buy something where you have access to lots of lenses (as in if you have a very nice friend or family member with a certain brand of camera, it might be to your advantage to buy the same kind they have and borrow a lens from time to time.).

Also from what I've seen on the internet, both cameras are very capable. They each have strengths (T1i has a really nice LCD, where the d5000 has the articulating one, etc.) and weaknesses. It is all based on what you want to do with it. If you plan on doing any amount of video with it you might want to look into the T2i that is coming out soon.

I would also say it all depends on what you want to do with it. I believe the video feature is nice, but honestly most people will never use it. I also like the T2i, but with a 55-200 lens it will go over the $1000 mark. I beleive the T2i with a kit 18-55 lens will be about $900.

You cannot go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Get what fit's in your hands and you can afford. Mega pixels do not really matter, so don't fall into that trap. I personally shoot a Nikon D60 and have the 55-200 lens and I love the setup, perfect for me. The D90 is a bigger camera for for bigger hands, but you also have to figure weight into the camera, the bigger the camera and lens the more it will weigh on your neck strap :)

I would also suggest start out with the kit 18-55 mm lens and do not buy the 55-200. Spend the little bit more and get the 18-200 mm lens so you do not not have to change the lens out all the time. Not sure what the equal is in the Canon world, but I'm sure it's about the same. It's worth the money, I just did not have the extra money at the time and to get the 55-200 lens was allot cheaper than getting the 18-200, but now I find myself swapping the lens all the time.

Have fun shopping!

Garret

I'm with the previous two postings...you can't go wrong with the brands....and if I were you I would hold out and wait a month for the T2i....go to http://www.dpreview.com if you want to research cameras side by side yourself. Hold out for a better lens, because you won't be overly impressed with the glass on a 55-200 f/4-5.6.

Thanks for the heads up on the T2i. It looks like that one will get my vote as well. I will have to see what the Mrs. say's, I think she had her heart set on the Nikon, I may be able to sway the decision. After thinking about it more the T2i with the 18-55mm lens should be perfect for what we would like the camera for.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back