Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Calling All Bozeman Anglers

mdunc8

I was recently hired as the Madison-Gallatin fisheries biologist with FWP here in Bozeman. I'm finally getting settled in and an idea of where we will be taking things over the next few years. As you can imagine, there's a lot of work to be done and I'm trying to find ways to increase the efficiency and productivity of our crews. Although a lot of our sampling requires some fisheries experience, I'd be happy to have volunteers lend a hand when possible (e.g., setting and working up gill nets in Hebgen and/or Hyalite, "sampling" mountain lakes, reintroduction efforts). I know it's difficult to sneak away from work and family, but shoot me a PM with your name, number, and email if you're in the Bozeman, Ennis, Big Sky, or West Yellowstone areas and interested in occasionally joining us. I'll be putting together a volunteer email list that I'll use to drum up support a couple times a year. Any help we can get will go a long ways to helping our crews divide and conquer some of the many things we're tasked with in the Madison and Gallatin drainages.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
I wish i lived closer (for a lot of reasons), that sounds very enjoyable. I know it's hard work and important work, but I'd love the scenery and the memories.

Sounds like a great opportunity that I would like to be part of when I can make it suit. PM inbound.

Sounds awesome! Maybe this should be a prereq. for all the Californians moving to the area?!

If you want to see how fun it can be to help Dunc with his field work, what I call "Citizen Conservation," here's a recent video when he asked Marcus to tag along and help with an Arctic Grayling survey.

If you want to see how fun it can be to help Dunc with his field work, what I call "Citizen Conservation," here's a recent video when he asked Marcus to tag along and help with an Arctic Grayling survey.

2nd coolest fish in North America (behind the Steelhead of course).

My wife, son, and I will be headed to Bozeman for a few days to visit her sister. Does anyone mind PM'ing me any spots you might be able to take a 7 month old and still catch a fish or two? Ideally we would be doing a little river fly fishing with a few spots of shade. We live in Denver and I'd be happy to return the favor if you are ever down in my neck of the woods.

I was recently hired as the Madison-Gallatin fisheries biologist with FWP here in Bozeman. I'm finally getting settled in and an idea of where we will be taking things over the next few years. As you can imagine, there's a lot of work to be done and I'm trying to find ways to increase the efficiency and productivity of our crews. Although a lot of our sampling requires some fisheries experience, I'd be happy to have volunteers lend a hand when possible (e.g., setting and working up gill nets in Hebgen and/or Hyalite, "sampling" mountain lakes, reintroduction efforts). I know it's difficult to sneak away from work and family, but shoot me a PM with your name, number, and email if you're in the Bozeman, Ennis, Big Sky, or West Yellowstone areas and interested in occasionally joining us. I'll be putting together a volunteer email list that I'll use to drum up support a couple times a year. Any help we can get will go a long ways to helping our crews divide and conquer some of the many things we're tasked with in the Madison and Gallatin drainages.
Congrats. It's been a while since I've shocked fish but too busy now. Maybe I'll be free next spring.

Travis didn't answer a longstanding question so maybe you'll know the answer. Do golden trout lakes actually have golden trout in them? They seemed pretty barren to me compared with other lakes in that basin. :D

...Travis didn't answer a longstanding question so maybe you'll know the answer. Do golden trout lakes actually have golden trout in them? They seemed pretty barren to me compared with other lakes in that basin. :D
Yes. After not being up there in about 30 years, I went to Golden Trout Lakes a few weeks ago. The road above the bridge on Portal Creek is worse than I've ever seen it. I don't think it has been maintained since that area was logged, about 30 years ago.

When we got to the main lake, there were 4 different camps around it and when we left a few hours later there were 8 camps. The lake was almost lined with people with a few of them swimming. There was still a fair size snowbank by the SW side of the lake.

I saw a few 10-12" Golden Trout cruising the shore, but they wouldn't hit my flies, or anyone else's that I saw.

When we got back to the Trailhead we counted 50 vehicles parked there and along the road at the Trailhead.

A pretty hike, but probably my last trip in there.

I’ve never been up there but have heard similar things from buddies to what buffy mentioned. There are fish but they’re not easy to catch.

I’ve never been up there but have heard similar things from buddies to what buffy mentioned. There are fish but they’re not easy to catch.
Several years ago I caught golden trout with "conventional" gear and my wife and I cooked them over the campfire. They were as tasty as beautiful.

We found grayling in Moon Lake up Deer Creek Trail in Gallatin Canyon. They were cruising along the shore and displayed brilliant colors in the sunlight. 'Didn't fish for them, but took some great photos ... which I can't find presently.

Back