Call the law, or handle it yourself

It is amazing more people don't get hit. I've had the rounds breaking tree limbs over my head in Wisconsin on more than one occasion. Had a gang of hunters in Montana blasting at a lone doe with me in the background as well. I was about 3/4 mile away, in full orange on a hillside. Apparently they thought the rounds wouldn't carry that far, as I listened to them crack and ricochet.

I don't think there was anything inherently illegal in either of those situations. I would be willing to wager that no one would be charged with a crime if I was clipped.

My experience dealing with trespassers, poachers, and all-around-jackasses is that if you don't get the law involved they will keep doing the same immoral, illegal crap over and over again.

Point being, you have no complaint to stand on if you choose to live and hunt in a place where you can visually see the guy you're complaining about drive up and park while you're supposedly waiting in ambush. Please.

A lot of us live in places we otherwise wouldn't if hunting was our only, or even top, priority.

It's not like Iowa sucks or anything though. Most of the midwestern states can be a sportsman's paradise, given the right set of interests..

In some ways Iowa sucks. In others, not so much. Even with limited public lands, it is still a very good upland bird state. And if has decent deer and squirrel populations. But when it comes to shotgun deer seasons, IOWA SUCKS.

Ive been accidentally shot at twice slug gun hunting deer in Iowa. And have 4-5 friends that have at least one story of hearing a slug whiz. Classic Iowa Slug gun drives . Move a little further and further away from it every year. Half the reason I picked up bow hunting 9 years ago.

Ive been accidentally shot at twice slug gun hunting deer in Iowa. And have 4-5 friends that have at least one story of hearing a slug whiz. Classic Iowa Slug gun drives . Move a little further and further away from it every year. Half the reason I picked up bow hunting 9 years ago.
Shotgunners are the number one reason people bow hunt in Iowa. Same for muzzleloader hunters. There is something different about the mentality of Iowa shotgun deer hunters, or so it seems to me.

I've only been shot at once in Iowa but then I have spent the shotgun seasons in my basement ever since.

The OP can hunt and live in Iowa all he wants. Just don't come online and complain about being shot at/near/whatever when you freakin' know better!
I related an experience I had. I identified poor decisions made by both me and the other person. I did not ask for sympathy or a shoulder to cry on. I have thick skin and will take whatever criticism comes my way as a result of putting myself out there to the entire internet. I asked how other people would respond in a situation similar to the one I had: take shelter, confront the guy, call LE. I think it's relevant for others to suggest that I should reconsider hunting during IA gun season on public land, based on their own experiences and observations. However, a response of "You're stupid, and shouldn't have posted this" seems to lack in relevance to the OP.

I have at least another 35 more hunting seasons ahead of me. I'd prefer to learn as much as I can from my mistakes so I can continue tromping around out there as long as my health holds up. Every type of hunting activity comes with some degree of danger. We all take on calculated risks when hunting, and I don't see what the issue is in having an open conversation about some of them.

It’s ironic that you chose that username, but critique others on where they live. If you’re “stuck,” why don’t you move to somewhere you don’t feel stuck?
You noticed this also! There are so many ways that this guy just doesn't have a clue.

Meanwhile, I guess it is okay in Iowa to shoot at people and be shot at. Who knew? Besides stuckinthecitylife, of course.
A
re there other states where shooting at people is considered okay?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back