PEAX Equipment

Call me crazy in a winter storm

What Map

The winter storm came just like they said it would. But I had just put on my studded snow tires on my Subaru and knew that if I could make it to my blind there would be fresh ducks and few if any other hunters. My alarm was set for 3:30 but I was awake by 3:15, so I eased out of the house and hit the road. There was some black ice, but for the most part the roads were in good shape. In fact as I neared the lake the snow fall was considerable less than at my home.
It was a long drive, but at a little after shooting time, I had three dozen decoys and 3 robo ducks out. And the birds were in the air. By 10:00 I had a limit of ducks including teal, scoup, gadwall and widgeons. So I started breaking things down. I had the robos laying on the bags of decoys on the beach and was walking to fetch the car when I saw a line of geese heading my way. I thought there would be no way they would stay on course a swing by me with gear laying all over and a black lab running up and down the edge of the water. But stay the course they did as I ran back to my unloaded gun laying on the sand. I just had time to throw in two shells and fire at the nearest bird. I broke his wing and Bart started swimming after him. Dog caught bird about a half mile out and had to dive under the water to seal the deal. It was a long swim back for a dog nursing a partially torn ACL in his back right leg. But what a retriever. Maybe the best ever. Anyway here are some pics:

100_1606.jpg

100_1608.jpg

100_1613.jpg

Sure do miss Montana right now. So hard not to skip out on the family and skip school to go hunting back home. Especially with the stories and pics like this.

Here are pics from yesterday's hunt. Another limit kind of day, barely. The first four pictures are of Bart retrieving ducks at sun up.

100_1621.jpg

100_1622.jpg

100_1623.jpg

100_1624.jpg

100_1634.jpg

Nice pics! I didn't realize Bart was your dog. I thought Lawnboy was fetching ducks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back