Caribou Gear Tarp

Call Makers

I wish I did, but I know that I just don't have the time to try my hand at any thing like that...I can though, put a peice of grass in my hands and make predatore distress calls...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey Lone Howl,

Its slydog, and yes I do build a few calls.

Antler closed reed distress

Antler open reed Distress, hurt pup and close range howler

Antler cow elk and esterous cow call

and a few others. I realy like working with antler. It truly gives a one of a kind edge. There is no duplicating an antler call. That is what the true one of a kind calls have over the mass produced calls. I don't do it for a living so the time I spend on them is good time and well spent. My calls are a step above most antler calls. I'm pleased to say, people who have my calls are proud to have them.

When you get up and runnin let me know and I'll make you a trade.

Sly

Im working on some antler open reed calls sly. When I get'er down Ill try closed reed if I have any sheds left.

Brad

While I wouldn't call myself a call maker, I have made a few now.

Here's some of the wooden ones I carved.

fc61dd7e.jpg

fc6ccdd4.jpg

I haven't tried antler yet, but I did make a trade for some recently (watching for UPS truck).
Does it really smell as bad as they say to work it?

I'd also like to try some closed reed calls, a lot of time is needed to custom make reeds, and tune the bridges on open reed calls... it is the really hard part.

Jeff
wave1.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-07-2003 13:40: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]</font>

Krusty,

Yes, antler stinks to high heaven, just ask my wife, who thretens me with devorse all the time over it. It also eats up your tooling. But the sound that it makes is music to coyotes ears. Also don't breath in the dust from sanding.

Slydog

MTO,

The reason everyone says it tasts like chicken is because chicken tasts like sh** and no one wants to be rude.LOL
wink.gif

Eat ELK, it does the body good.

Slydog

Slydog,

I have a few questions about the inside shaping done for closed reed calls, and I would sure like to see a pic of the "business end" of one of your closed reed calls so I could see how you go about putting the reeds in (how deep, what size opening there is "downrange" of the reed, and which end the reed gets stuffed in).

If you could pop in the Chatroom over on PM sometime (or contact me by Instant Messenger), so we could yak about this call making stuff... I sure would appreciate it.

I have this big beautiful antler sitting here and I am not feeling confident enough to attack it with my tools yet.

antler

Thank you,

Jeff
wave1.gif

KK,
e-mail me your phone number and I'll tell you more than you can digest, LOL Its easyer for me to talk it than to type it. LOL

slydog
wink.gif

OK Slydog,

You've got mail.

I got brave, and I did it...

fc5ecb58.jpg

At the bottom you can see the first antler call I've made, I am having problems tuning the bridge (the porosity of the marrow, or the fact I always start out with the bridge too curved too close to the tip).

Do you guys use some kind of sealer on the marrow? I actually considered CA (superglue)and 5 minute epoxy, I could paint on a layer and then sand it smooth and shiny.

Thanks,

Jeff
wave1.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back