Caribou Gear Tarp

California new anti-lead implementation

Tim433

From the DWF website:

Further phase-out of lead ammunition for hunting in California will occur on July 1, 2016, when hunters must use nonlead ammunition when hunting with shotguns for upland game birds (except for dove, quail and snipe), small game mammals, fur-bearing mammals, and nongame birds except for when hunting at licensed game bird clubs. Nonlead ammunition will also be required when taking wildlife for depredation purposes anywhere in the state.Starting on July 1, 2019 hunters must use nonlead ammunition when taking any animal anywhere in the state for any purpose.

Don't see much of a problem here. Obviously been shooting steel for waterfowl for years and South Dakota requires non toxic shot on state lands. I find it easier just to use steel shot in my shotgun all the time so I don't have to worry about getting all the lead out of my vest if I want to hunt on state land. Also have been shooting Barnes bullets in my rifles for about 6 years now and have not lost a single animal during that time plus the are extremely accurate

What about lead for recreational shooting. Some have stated that requiring lead for recreational shooting will increase the cost and reduce shooting participation. I'm not sure if that is a valid claim, but I am curious if this only applies to shooting while hunting, or all shooting.

From what I've read, they're pushing for non-lead due to raptors getting lead poisoning from gut piles, especially Condors. At least that's the angle they're working right now. Recreational shooting shouldn't affect raptors.

But, knowing California's politics, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after gun ranges next.

Last edited:
Leaded ammo is still ok for target practice: http://www.ammoland.com/2015/05/californias-ban-on-lead-ammunition-approaches-enforcement-date/

As someone who hunts with vintage shotguns, it's pretty darned expensive to switch to bismuth or tungsten but I'll happily do it if it means I can still take the Alex Henry out to chase birds. I've made the switch to lead-free for most of my big game hunting (tough to find some odd ball bullets in lead-free) and while I have an 870 for waterfowl, I tend to grab a double when it comes to upland.

Some info on lead and raptors: https://www.raptor.umn.edu/our-research/lead-poisoning

I think this should concern every hunter in the US. California is the front line of a war that is being waged on our culture, our heritage and our way of life. The battles are happening on many fronts and this is a just another loss for sportsman. The strategy is simple and our adversaries are not even afraid to say their intent. HSUS,PETA,and other anti hunting groups have made their objective clear. Quote from our buddy Wayne over at HSUS.
“If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would. [. . .] Only 7% of Americans are hunters. That means there are more of us than there are of them. It is simply a matter of democracy. The majority rules in a democracy. We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States. . . We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state.”
These people have a clear objective, they are organized, In CA they have infiltrated the department of fish and wildlife, the legislature, and any time they don't get what they want they file a lawsuit against whatever person or government agency they can.This has nothing to do with condors, this is part of an agenda, and if you think your safe in X western state, think again, its only a matter of time.

`

Quackkillr is 100% correct on this matter. Unfortunately here in California its now the law and we must phase out the lead. On a positive note, I have used the Barnes TTSX in my .300 win mag and The GMX and I am a big fan of both bullets for accuracy. The Barnes performed great on a bear this year and the GMX is my go to bullet for hogs. What I am attempting to say is don't let the lead ban get you down, yes the old copper bullets were terrible but the new copper bullets work great you just need to adjust to lighter bullet weights. Just my humble opinion.

I think this should concern every hunter in the US. California is the front line of a war that is being waged on our culture, our heritage and our way of life. The battles are happening on many fronts and this is a just another loss for sportsman. The strategy is simple and our adversaries are not even afraid to say their intent. HSUS,PETA,and other anti hunting groups have made their objective clear. Quote from our buddy Wayne over at HSUS.
“If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would. [. . .] Only 7% of Americans are hunters. That means there are more of us than there are of them. It is simply a matter of democracy. The majority rules in a democracy. We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States. . . We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state.”
These people have a clear objective, they are organized, In CA they have infiltrated the department of fish and wildlife, the legislature, and any time they don't get what they want they file a lawsuit against whatever person or government agency they can.This has nothing to do with condors, this is part of an agenda, and if you think your safe in X western state, think again, its only a matter of time.

`

You hit the nail on the head my friend. The objectives have been clear for some time. Unfortunately, even within our own ranks, the dissent over their objectives is absolutely stunning and frightening. Don't take me wrong, I'm simply saying, we have hunters and outdoorsman who simply don't want to believe they intend to shut down hunting. The final result will be, once our recreational need for firearms is gone, firearms will go. Make no mistake about it. It may not happen in our lifetime, but it is coming. We need to save it for our grandchildren.

`

Pardon my french, but HSUS can kiss my tuchus.

That is their goal, to reduce participation and thus make it easier to eliminate hunting/shooting all together in the future. They are playing a long term game, death by 1000 cuts.

What about lead for recreational shooting. Some have stated that requiring lead for recreational shooting will increase the cost and reduce shooting participation. I'm not sure if that is a valid claim, but I am curious if this only applies to shooting while hunting, or all shooting.

From what I've read, they're pushing for non-lead due to raptors getting lead poisoning from gut piles, especially Condors. At least that's the angle they're working right now. Recreational shooting shouldn't affect raptors.

But, knowing California's politics, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after gun ranges next.

That's the BS excuse they came up with to get the law through, they claimed the lead in gut piles was causing the condors to crush their eggs, but here we are close to 10 yrs later and the condors are still crushing their eggs

Excuse me. A bird that has to have health monitor checks every week and BE FED is no longer a wild bird or a viable species.

I'm agnostic on this subject, but I can't help seeing all the similarities to the fear mongering that went on when when steel shot was mandated for waterfowl. There is definitely a price issue... but in the big scheme of things it's hard for me to see this having a huge net effect, other than Nosler making a killing on E-Tips next year.

I just hope that the bullet companies keep creating more non-lead options so they shoot accurately in more guns. Copper bullets are generally longer, which comes with consequences. I was a big fan of the heavy core Barnes MRX while it lasted.

Randy,

For CA it is only for hunting. For shotguns currently you need steel for take of waterfowel and now upland birds on State managed lands. 2019 it is 100% non-lead for EVERYTHING(bird/big/small game and maybe even varmint . There has been no talk of extending this to target or open shooting(which you can only do on Federal BLM I think). We don't hold our breath that anything is possible with the dipwads in Sacramento. They keep beating us down with any and all usless gun regulations. I would be surprised by nothing they come up with as "sensible gun regulations" which currently fill up a 1.5" thick book!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back