California C zone success

birdman27

Fall is generally busy for me with work (trips for hop harvest, etc.), and with California's somewhat early seasons where I like to hunt it can be difficult to find time to get out there. This year was no different in that regard. What was different, was this year I had two new hunters who asked me to help them out! I will get to their story after mine. With those new hunters, I only had a day and a half to try to get my first California deer in my fourth season in state. Prior to that, I hadn't been hunting since my last deer at 16 years old in Nevada, 15 years ago!

In August, for my birthday, I went up to Chico with my wife to reminisce about how we met and visit some friends. I was able to sneak away one day with my buddy to do a little scouting and explore a couple new areas to try to find something we felt was really huntable. After a couple mile hike, we thought we had found a spot. This is the first time in these four seasons that I was able to scout somewhat effectively, even if I didn't find a target deer, I did find a target area.

Fast forward to this prior Thursday (9/20) and I was able to sneak out of work a little early and make the run up to Chico. While the initial plan was to get up there in time for a night hunt, my buddy had been sick, so we took it easy and did a BBQ with some friends from back east. Then we got up super early to make it to the trailhead in time to get to our spot before sunrise. We split up, I went east and he went west. I found a rock outcropping with some good views and sat until the sun hit me, hoping to catch something moving. Unfortunately, that was a bust, but I was able to get in a short little walk before meeting up with my buddy and found a couple of does. I must side note here that this was a pretty good start for me, as I seemed in the previous years to have found places that either had few deer or those deer had already migrated because of the weather, so finding some right off the bat was nice. Back to story. Met back up with my buddy and we made a game plan. We were going to slowly work out way up a couple of miles and 1000 feet. We saw a good amount more does and one possible buck on the run. We then worked our way back down, at one point coming within 25 yards of an uncaring spike buck (who will make someone very happy next year once he forks...). That evening, we went out to a new area down a little ways that looked like it had deer a month ago, and decided to leave it on the list for later.

The next morning, the plan was to be in before dark again, this time with me on a different rock pile and my buddy working through the dark timber we found all the deer in the prior day. I got in there nice and early, but did manage to spook a deer on the way. Took a short nap until I could see things, then got to serious glassing. Right at shooting light, I heard a lot of cracking branches to my right, so I made sure to look over there occasionally. A few minutes later, I see a deer trying to slip over the saddle in that direction. He spots me (maybe 75 yards away) and freezes. I can see some antlers over his ears, but from that angle I could not verify a fork (which makes a legal deer in CA). Finally, he shifts his head and I can see the fork. Game on! I move to get into position for a shot, but it takes a lot longer than it should. Luckily, I dont seem to spook him and finally get into position. He is head on, but at that range, with a solid rest I feel confident I can get it in his boilermaker. I take a couple practice squeezes of the trigger to calm down, check he is clear behind him, get settled on his chest and BOOM!

The next thing I know, I have thrown another bullet in the chamber and am trying to get back on target as I see a deer take off bounding into the woods. What?!? How could I have missed at that range? I decide to settle in for about 20 minutes to let things calm down and let him bed in case he was wounded. At this point, I am beating myself up. I should have gotten a better rest. I should have let him turn broadside. I should have let it get lighter. Etc, etc, etc. Finally, after the allotted time, I go down the backside of the rockpile and start working over to where he was standing. After clearing the rocks and looking into the trees, I finally look over to the spot and wouldn't you know it, there he was dead on impact. He had fallen behind the one tree between me and him, and I hadnt been able to see him. My buddy and I had decided if we heard a shot in the others direction, we would slowly start working back towards each other on the main trail. Well, I was far too pumped up, so I basically ran down the trail in his direction until I found him, then we got to work gutting and gilling (and skinning). A 1.5 mile hike later, he is in the truck. My first harvested animal in 15 years. He isnt the biggest buck, but he is probably the one I have worked the hardest for and I am glad to have had the opportunity to harvest him.
20180922_071345.jpg

When I bought my rifle two years ago, I decided to start out using non-lead ammo, since I knew that was coming down the pipe. Reading a lot of horror stories about copper ammo, I was slightly worried. However, I was able to recover the bullet from this animal (another first) and it performed great.
20180922_074134.jpg
20180922_074137.jpg

Congrats on your buck! Not a lot of deer around Chester here like they were when i moved here some 35 years ago but we still get a few. I used to skin bucks for Norm at the butcher block in Chester. Some opening weekends we'd take in 150-175 deer a day.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! It was nice to have some success finally and feel like I am starting to learn a little more about hunting in CA.

Congrats on your buck! Not a lot of deer around Chester here like they were when i moved here some 35 years ago but we still get a few. I used to skin bucks for Norm at the butcher block in Chester. Some opening weekends we'd take in 150-175 deer a day.

Dang, that is a lot of deer! I was not around in those days, but I have heard the tales.

Congrats! Chico State grad myself here.

My wife went to Chico State. We met in Chico while I was working at SNBC.

Now for the story of the new hunters.

I met one of the new hunters at a bachelor party in Colombia (which is a whole nother story!). He learned I was a hunter and asked if he could go with me this year. Of course, I said yes and guided him through the application process (we will call him B). He ultimately asked if another friend (we will call him S) of his could jump on our group application and I said yes. Once we had secured out C tags (as a second choice), we all applied for a special access hunt (me with my Chico buddy, then the two new hunters with me as a non-hunting guest). They got lucky and pulled the special access, and the hunt dates for them were 9/23-24. We made plans to meet 9/22 to take a look around the area (we could walk in scout, then drive in for the hunt dates). When I harvested my deer, we changed plans and just met up in Chico, then went to look for a place to camp. We eventually found a spot, just as it was getting dark and settled in to talk hunting. It was at this point where I was taking for granted all that I had learned hunting growing up. These guys just knew what they had learned hunter safety. I was using lingo that is pretty much second nature and getting blank stares, so I realized I had to be a lot more patient and explain things to them. It was good for me to figure out what is teachable and what you have to learn on your own. I also learned at this point that S didnt have his tag and had never gotten it in the mail, so unfortunately he couldnt hunt, but he was happy to be along for the experience.

Day 1, we drove in the dark and got to our parking area. As it was light, we decided to walk through a series of meadows and get the lay of the land. Right at shooting light I found 4 does that these guys had power walked by, and used it as a teaching moment on slowing down a keeping your head on a swivel. We continued on and eventually ran into 4 bears, including a family of 3. We decided our best bet at that point was to turn around and go the other direction! We eventually side hilled through a bunch of brush, got into some really steep nasty stuff and had to drop down to the road (so, a true hunting experience!). On the road, we ran into a couple other guys who hadnt seen anything at all. That day we ended up walking 12 miles all around the area and jumping a couple other does, but no legal bucks. We did see a flock of turkeys, which excited the guys.

Day 2, we did the same entrance procedure. Again, we found 4 deer in the meadows, including 1 spike. Unfortunately I couldnt make him grow a fork and become legal for B, but it was encouraging to see a buck. We continued on and bumped into the same bear family, though this time they took off so we were able to continue on and find a couple pairs more of does. We then dropped lower and quickly ran out of good sign/life, which B picked up on quickly. I will say, through the weekend, his intuitions about hunting were good and he just needs to work on some of the details (keeping his head on a swivel, using his binos more, slowing down, etc). We went back up to the trucks and decided to call it a hunt about midday. B had to get back to his wife and 1mo old and I needed to get home and get ready for work the next day. On the drive out, of course we ran into a herd of big bucks in the no hunting zone, which frustrated B to no end, but while no one would have known if he had taken on there, we chose not to, because we had made an agreement with the land owners not to.

All in all, I would call it a successful introduction to hunting. I was really hoping to get them a buck or two and hook them, but we all know how hunting goes. We are already talking about next year and they are interested in doing a backpack hunt, so I am excited to see where this partnership goes.

One last addendum.

This year was definitely my most exciting hunting in CA (including helping my buddy on his G6 hunt a couple years ago). And it wouldnt be appropriate to end with just a successful hunt. On the way home, driving from Williams to Clear Lake, the transmission in my car decided it no longer wanted to work and I got stranded with no cell service! Luckily, there was a Cal Fire Station about a half mile away and I was able to walk down, use their phone and arrange a tow back to Williams. Then my wife had to drive a couple hours to come pick me up and our extra car in stranded in Williams while we decide what to do with it. Gotta take the bad with the good I guess!

Thanks to everyone who read this all, I know I can be a little long winded at times.

Congratulations on your deer, and a big slap on the back for helping new guys get out and experience the joys and frustration of adventuring with a rifle in hand.

And good on you all for following the land owners directions. If it were me, I would make sure the land owner knew of your temptation, but how you all decided to follow the directives given when the land access was granted.

Soooo you must be hunting up around Stonyford ?? There is a ton of pigs in that area you might consider taking C and S on a pig hunt to get the hunting fires inside them stoked up . I was at East Park during the summer boating and camping and saw over 100 pigs and a big ass mountain lion . I hope you at least got to enjoy a sandwich and a beer at Granzella's in Williams. BTW I used to have house on Clearlake but family issues forced the sale of the house . BTW isnt there some hunting in and around the Clear Lake area. Indian Valley reservoir area ?

oldschool, the area he is talking about in a "C" zone which for general rifle includes C-1, C-2, C-3, and around Lake Almanor where i live, C-4. Sounds like you were over on the other side of I-5 in a "B" zone.

Birdman, yeah you should have seen it. A fast ride around the Lake during the late evening or at night was just asking to get hit by a deer. Now the same trip might not see any.

oldschool, the area he is talking about in a "C" zone which for general rifle includes C-1, C-2, C-3, and around Lake Almanor where i live, C-4. Sounds like you were over on the other side of I-5 in a "B" zone.

Birdman, yeah you should have seen it. A fast ride around the Lake during the late evening or at night was just asking to get hit by a deer. Now the same trip might not see any.

You are correct, I was on the other side of I-5 from Stonyford. I was just driving back to the east bay through Clear Lake. I would love to do some hunting in the clear lake area, just need to find the time!

You are correct, I was on the other side of I-5 from Stonyford. I was just driving back to the east bay through Clear Lake. I would love to do some hunting in the clear lake area, just need to find the time!

The East Bay? I cut my eye teeth on Blacktail hunting my Grandfathers large cattle ranch up on Morgan Territory rd north of Livermore. Every kid should have such a wonderful upbringing. I stayed at the Ranch with the Folks during most weekends and all summer. Much of that ranch is now either East Bay Regional Park or on the East side belongs to the Water District, flood plain to that Los Vaqueros Reservoir their in old Lady Ordway's Flats on Vasco Rd. Though not the country for real Monster Blacktails, I had it pretty good.

That clear lake country looks good to me too and now that those huge fires there have thinned the brush, it ought to be better hunting than ever while the new growth fattens the Deer and Elk herds. I'm probably not gonna go B zone but if i was, that's some good country to take a closer look. Make time if you can/must. That's one thing i can't say, that i wish i had made more time for hunting and fishing. I did, probably to excess, and now paying for it i suppose, but those were my choices as we each have our own to make. Best wishes!

The East Bay? I cut my eye teeth on Blacktail hunting my Grandfathers large cattle ranch up on Morgan Territory rd north of Livermore. Every kid should have such a wonderful upbringing. I stayed at the Ranch with the Folks during most weekends and all summer. Much of that ranch is now either East Bay Regional Park or on the East side belongs to the Water District, flood plain to that Los Vaqueros Reservoir their in old Lady Ordway's Flats on Vasco Rd. Though not the country for real Monster Blacktails, I had it pretty good.

That clear lake country looks good to me too and now that those huge fires there have thinned the brush, it ought to be better hunting than ever while the new growth fattens the Deer and Elk herds. I'm probably not gonna go B zone but if i was, that's some good country to take a closer look. Make time if you can/must. That's one thing i can't say, that i wish i had made more time for hunting and fishing. I did, probably to excess, and now paying for it i suppose, but those were my choices as we each have our own to make. Best wishes!

I dont know why I said east bay. Must still be out of it. I live in the north bay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back