Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

California Blacktail

Caleb_The_Carnivore

I've lived in Northern California most my life. I believe we truely have some of the best hunting in the all the states, despite everything else wrong with this state. One thing I've always found very cool and unique is the diversity in how our blacktails are. So, on that note I do believe it's time to post some pictures!!!

Cool,
I'll have to did some pics out and scan them.
Took some great Blacktails when I lived there

Really wish I could have taken the bucks that frequented the house I was renting in Saratoga CA while my house was under construction. They had some killer genetics, where the bucks up by my house a average blacktails.

Oh well, at least I get to go hunting tomorrow as A-zone archery opens up. No better way to get in shape for Idaho moose and Montana elk/deer than hunting in the July heat.

10478150_10202786603640909_8981814218604045145_n.jpg

10386918_10202770765564967_1026469320522909933_o.jpg

California blacktail is on my bucket list to do someday. Just never really researched it. Im guessing firearms deer lic out there are all lottery drawing correct?

Nope, A-zone is OTC as well as B-zone (but some of B sells out). There are millions of acres of public land between the two. Just lastnight the Berryessa Snow Mountain Monument was declared by the President. It'll be 330k acres of FS, BLM and private land accessible to hunting.

I do have to say hunting blacktail in the bzone is whole different ball game. There are some very nice bucks in there.

Yep, Azone had some smokers,but I do not miss crawling thu PO and all in 100+ temps....I had all the LP/Big Sur to hunt and 2 -15k acre ranches to pick out the big ones.

Welcome to the site! I am Chico State grad myself. Got my feet wet with western biggame hunting in NW CA's Trinity Alps Wilderness. Opportunity abounds for a guy willing to put a backpack on and go. It's not Colorado though :D:D. Thanks for the picks!

Lived in California for 4 years while in the Marine Corps. Still kicking myself I didn't utilize the hunting resources there. Nice bucks!

Are these public land deer??I really want to go out for Columbia blacktails.Which zone is better A or B??Sounds like a great early season trip for next year.Think I could talk big28hunter into coming along

Seems to me that some TV guy should get an early start on next season and show people there is hunting to be had in California. Wonder if I would see any deer. Wonder if I could get a film permit, an obstacle that derailed a blacktail hunt idea in the Trinity Alps in 2010.

Public land A zone is pretty sparse, hot and crunchy, especially during archery, with low success rates.
Hunters are guaranteed to get raging cases of poison oak, suffer huge frustration, and possibly even die from dehydration.

Sounds like a perfect hunt for you Randy.

B zone is way better for a public land diy guy. Marble mountains and Trinities are good. Makes the early rifle dates alot more tolerable getting up high. We would go 6 miles back and see bucks at 8k above treeline. I had it snow a few in on us one opener. And you can get two buck tags otc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back