Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

California Ammo reg questions - AGAIN

44hunter45

I'm toying with the idea of returning to Cali for a pig and blacktail trip in A Zone. I cannot figure out how I'm supposed to get ammo to hunt with. I handload for my rifles. I apparently cannot bring my own ammo in and have to go through a waiting period to buy OTC ammo (yuck) for my rifles. I don't see how I'm going to get any hunting done of I have wait 14 days to buy ammo.
I can work up monolithic loads easily enough. Everyone knows the 264WM and 35 Whelen have been used in numerous crimes in California and their ammo needs to be strictly controlled.

What if I want to spend a day or two popping ground squirrels back on the ranch (Madera County). What about 22 LR?

I guess the days of me picking up buckets of 5.56 brass at Cottonwood Creek off HWY 152 are long gone.

Any advice from local guys?

Are you still a California resident? AB 2213 specifically states that it applies to residents and has no mention of nonresidents.

Somewhere the DOJ has a FAQ that addresses nonresident hunters. I'm pretty sure it says you can bring your ammo in as long as you don't transfer it while you're there.

You'll need non-lead 22 lr for shooting squirrels. I don't believe there is any distinction between varmints and game. If you're shooting it at a critter it needs to be non-lead.

Are you still a California resident? AB 2213 specifically states that it applies to residents and has no mention of nonresidents.

Somewhere the DOJ has a FAQ that addresses nonresident hunters. I'm pretty sure it says you can bring your ammo in as long as you don't transfer it while you're there.

You'll need non-lead 22 lr for shooting squirrels. I don't believe there is any distinction between varmints and game. If you're shooting it at a critter it needs to be non-lead.

Thanks! That's good intel. I will have to go find that.

We pulled the plug on California after Prop 117 passed in the 1990's. We've been in Idaho since 1993. Part of me says that 27 years of hogs and lions may not have left many deer in A Zune for me to chase. There used to be a lot of pressure where I went in San Benito County, I wonder if that is still true. @Big Fin would go nuts over the jackrabbit population there. Back in the day we thought they weren't worth eating, but I would try one today done Hank Shaw style.

I browsed quickly this morning and couldn't find the FAQ, but when the law went into effect I know someone put a memo out (CADFW or CADOJ), and the text of the law specifies residents.

Likewise on the jackrabbits. I've seen millions of them in X1 that I never even thought of shooting. I'm considering making a trip just for them now.

Don't worry about it. Just go and hunt There is no enforcement. Most guys who might be in a position to enforce would sympathize with you/us. Last of all if your still worried then it might be convenient to recall how you built the ammo yourself but the press was stolen the next day. Damn those crack heads! Could I submit a police report with you Mr. warden?

Thanks! That's good intel. I will have to go find that.

We pulled the plug on California after Prop 117 passed in the 1990's. We've been in Idaho since 1993. Part of me says that 27 years of hogs and lions may not have left many deer in A Zune for me to chase. There used to be a lot of pressure where I went in San Benito County, I wonder if that is still true. @Big Fin would go nuts over the jackrabbit population there. Back in the day we thought they weren't worth eating, but I would try one today done Hank Shaw style.

Lot's of deer in A zone, with all the fires the past few year north of the SF Bay near Clear Lake has cleaned up years of choked out chaparral. The San Benito area still holds lots of pigs and deer, cats too. Many areas as well need a disturbance down there too.

You are good to bring your own ammo since you are not a resident of this hell hole.

(a) Commencing July 1, 2019, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to an ammunition vendor in this state for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30366.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following bringing or transporting into this state any ammunition:
(13) A person that at the time he or she acquired the ammunition was not a resident of this state.
(15) A licensed hunter who purchased the ammunition outside of this state for use in a lawful hunting activity that occurred outside of this state if the person brings or imports no more than 50 rounds into this state and the ammunition is designed and intended for use in the firearm the hunter used in that hunting activity.

(13) A person that at the time he or she acquired the ammunition was not a resident of this state.

I'm probably gonna get dogpiled for this. Buuuuut .......Seems like awfully binary wording for such a progressive state.

Just remember that the lead free ammunition has to be on their list

I thought I had a handle on this. The plan was to hand load my own monolithics. Does this mean I can't do that? So far in ths thread we have worked out that hand loaded ammo is legal and that a non-resident is exempt bringing in enough ammo to hunt.
I left Cali thinking I would not be coming back.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Last edited:
First of all I have never had my ammo checked in the field except while waterfowl hunting or on a military base. I do get checked for tags and license almost every year in national forest. I know some other hunters who have been asked but it is rare. The question is typically "What ammo are you using?" If you answer with a well known non toxic I don't think you will have to prove it. Most game wardens I know recognize non toxic hand loaded or otherwise. I never carry the original box in the field unless I am in an area that I know checks, like Fort Hunter Liggett.

Do you have a label from the box of your nontoxic projectiles? I would think having that in your truck would be OK with most law enforcement if they even ask. I decided a few years ago to take a picture with my phone of my non toxic ammo box and show it if asked. Never needed to.

First of all I have never had my ammo checked in the field except while waterfowl hunting or on a military base. I do get checked for tags and license almost every year in national forest. I know some other hunters who have been asked but it is rare. The question is typically "What ammo are you using?" If you answer with a well known non toxic I don't think you will have to prove it. Most game wardens I know recognize non toxic hand loaded or otherwise. I never carry the original box in the field unless I am in an area that I know checks, like Fort Hunter Liggett.

Do you have a label from the box of your nontoxic projectiles? I would think having that in your truck would be OK with most law enforcement if they even ask. I decided a few years ago to take a picture with my phone of my non toxic ammo box and show it if asked. Never needed to.

Easy enough to put that on the side of the MTM box. Thanks!

BTW - I used to hunt Hunter Liggett all the time. My wife's has had family in Jolon for ages. We both have lots of family scattered from there to Nipomo. Most are in the Paso/Templeton area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back