Caribou Gear

Caliber Recommendations

Petzal is beyond clueless; I read his stuff about once a year at a barber shop or somewhere like that and it's mind boggling. I'm w/ Buzz on the topic.

Get a .30-06 and kill elk. I did it for a long, long time with one. I even used Core-Lokts. Of course I didn't have the internet, so how could I know this was a bad combo? mtmuley

LMAO :D I'm just kidding.

I strongly believe in shot placement > bullet selection > caliber. I would pick a cartridge with readily available reloading components or ammo, tolerable recoil, and good down range performance. .308/7 08, 270, 30-06, 7 mag, 300. They'll all work. Of the two you mentioned the 7 would be my preference. It's recoil is manageable, everyone stocks reloading components for it, and it will kill elk farther than I care to shoot.

Post up what you get!

Petzal is beyond clueless; I read his stuff about once a year at a barber shop or somewhere like that and it's mind boggling. I'm w/ Buzz on the topic.

Agreed. The take that 7rm is basically the same as 270 is ridiculous. Considering .277 bullet options don’t hold a candle to .284 and a 280 has more capacity than a 270 and is still lagging considerably behind a rem mag..

I bought a kids gun. 7mm-08 on eiger American. I'm of the age that everyone wanted a 30-06. So I have one. Sure wish I had a 7mm-08 for myself, kid gun keeps killing crap,deer, elk. And its fun to shoot. That 06' gets old after a few rounds.

I was trying to make the same decision a year or so ago. I had my mind made up. I was going in to buy a 300 WM I had been eyeing. When I got to the store I saw they had a great deal on a Tikka 7MM with a scope for significantly less than the 300 I was planning to buy. I bought the 7MM because of the price. Super happy with it. Both calibers are comparable. You can't go wrong with either one. I enjoy reloading for the 7MM. I only use Barnes 150gr TSX or TTSX with H1000. I now have no need for a 300, but will probably pick one up sometime anyways for fun! The moral of my story is shop around for a good deal on either one, or...buy one of each:).

Either will work fine....with proper shot placement and a good bullet! But, and many will disagree..... I prefer that elk calibers start with a .3 ! memtb

If you are worried about recoil in the field, then the 7 mag is the best of the two. I have two of them and have shot lots of stuff with them. I also have an -06 that kicks harder than either one. Ammo is not cheap to buy for either, so lots of practice is expensive. A couple of the worst-kicking rifles that I have ever shot on my range, were friends' .270s. If you can handle a .270, or an -06, then a 7 mag will do just fine.

Personally, after shooting magnums for years, I would go with a .308, or 7-08 and never look back. They can be had in handy rifles, minimal recoil and ammo is not terribly expensive. Practice and bullet selection is far more important than caliber. Elk are not bullet proof and very few people have any business shooting past 400 yards, anyway. Beyond that, you may have a bit of an edge with a magnum, due to maintaining a higher velocity.

Then there are the 6.5 calibers....different conversation.:cool:

Back