MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cabela's Meat Grinder issue

wyoelkfan15

Has anyone ever had an issue with an electric meat grinder where bearing grease will contaminate your meat? I just got done grinding my antelope and noticed what looked like a bunch of bearing grease on the back end of the auger spindle. Is this food safe grease, did I just contaminate my whole burger off my antelope? I've never noticed this issue in past years. Thanks!

IMG_20191006_215714.jpgIMG_20191006_215707.jpgIMG_20191006_215732.jpg

It should be food grade grease, however your one photo looks like there may be metal filing mixed in with it? If that is the case I would be worried...

You may want to give cabela's a call and see if they can shed any light on it being food safe or not.

Also, have you seen any black grease in the meat? If you don't see, I wouldn't worry about it and assume it stayed in the grinder. You should for sure look into solving this issue before the next round of grinding.

I have read before in manuals that if you push your meat down too hard while feeding it into a grinder, it can bypass the seal and cause issues like this. Would you say you were force feeding your grinder too much?

Sounds like possibly the bearing seal has failed.
But all grinders are typically greased with a bio/ food safe grease.

I would send it back to them, but you may be over-pushing that little grinder. It will do the job, but at a slower pace.
This would be my guess as well. I use food safe silicone with my 3/4hp. I'd look at returning and seeing if you can upgrade by paying the difference.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back