Cabelas and Bass pro shop merger always did stink.

Frankly I think this merger opened the door for some smaller online retailers to do better. I for one buy most everthing these days from the smaller more specialized shops versus Cabelas or Bass Pro. For years Cabelas was my go to for just about all my clothing and equipment needs for hunting and Bass Pro for fishing.

I've bought a couple guns off their used racks that needed just a little TLC. Not now, they are asking too much. The one aspect of capitalism I can control is resisting arbitrary mark-ups. If they get away with it, then it IS what the market will bear.

The stores still have value for cheap Papa/Granddaughter dates. We go in and look at the taxidermy and the fish. It is a fun way to work on animal identification. She shoots in the kids gallery. We get some fudge, or some trinkets, and get out. We used to do this after the Spokane Gun Show, which is now on the rocks. She is 10. I'll keep doing this as long as she will. I outfitted her in their camo last season. I'm not going to put a 10 YO in technical gear for day hunts.

I am more and more a shop local/ shop Idaho guy. Hoffman, not Kenetrek - Kryptek, not Sikta, etc. If I lived in MT, I would be all over that stuff. Montana has some quality brands.

Maybe Bain Capital will gobble up Johnny Morris like they did Sports Authority and this thread will get some new life.

20 years ago they had the nicest, most reasonably priced wool and wool-blend sweaters. It was the only place I would shop. Some of it’s still decent, but the quality isn’t what it used to be. Like everything else there, I guess.

Off topic - I bought Mrs45 a really nice looking plush fleece vest in the RMEF HQ gift shop. It turned to mush in less than 6 months.

I echo your comments. I guess it's still a good place to go look at the fish and mounts with kids; maybe drop $15 on some junk (and I do mean junk) as we exit through the gift shop.

I won't dredge up comments on memories from the 80's and how far gone they are. But, it seriously does turn a closer eye to smaller/local outfits that offer second hand and usually better quality. Or, classifieds like Hunt Talk

Off topic - I bought Mrs45 a really nice looking plush fleece vest in the RMEF HQ gift shop. It turned to mush in less than 6 months.
Yes. I purchased an item or two from the shop @ RMEF HQ and they weren't that great.

However, I will offer a DEFINITE plug for RMEF: If you're interested in shopping equipment; attend some of the dinners or related events. You can get some really good deals on some very good equipment through the raffles and auctions.

I get what they're doing and they're doing what every other sports store has done in the last 20 years...attempt to maintain validity in a society that doesn't necessarily need a brick and mortar location. Clothes are cheap to make and cheap to sell especially online.

I've gotten some screaming deals on guns from Cabelas especially now that they I can order them online and ship to store. At least 2 have been impulse purchases which I don't regret :LOL:

Used to make a habit out of routing vacation road trips towards Cabelas stores. Think I've been to 22 now? Always searched through the bargain cave. We've found quite a few items that came home with us! Also picked up some various camping pieces to keep in our Alaska cabin. Now, it's strange seeing the two brands mixed in each store.

At least they seem to have improved from their usually tacky t-shirts.

m_5c9bbe43534ef9d3c7a5c761.jpg

I love the gun libraries. Wife loves the clothes. Their Meindl line of boots used to be top-notch! Doing away with the bargain caves has been a real bummer.

Usually will stop at Cabelas every chance that we get.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back