PEAX Equipment

CA Bears: D-5???

RyanSoNorCal

I’m headed up to D5 with an AO deer tag last weekend of August. Thinking about grabbing a bear tag as I heard there some decent numbers up there. I’ve been passed on some good info about a spot 45 mins above Arnold so that’s where I’ll be spending most my time. If anyone has any bear info willing to pass on I’d be much appreciated.

Pick up the tag! You'll hear bears before you see them in dense cover. They'll be on the berries.

The area I’ll be is above Dorrington which is a tad over 4K feet. Will that be a bit high?

Sitting water is another tactic to consider for the first week. The bears need to be eating a ton, so they'll be where the food is.

I'm not sure if they will be ripe there by the 15th, they very well might be. My spot is about 2800-3000 and they should be getting ripe right around the August 15. There will still be bears where you are I'm sure.
I’ll actually be up there on 8/28-8/30 so hopefully I’ll see some. Thanks for the info!

Just came back from High elevation D5. Was super warm so movement was minimal, i have AO tag as well, along woth bear tag.. tons of bear scat, and deer sign but with the temps being in the 80s by late morning everything was bedded down early. Saw 3 does along 20+ miles of backcountry. But like i said, the amount of Bear scat was crazy, just didnt catch em out in the open.

Just came back from High elevation D5. Was super warm so movement was minimal, i have AO tag as well, along woth bear tag.. tons of bear scat, and deer sign but with the temps being in the 80s by late morning everything was bedded down early. Saw 3 does along 20+ miles of backcountry. But like i said, the amount of Bear scat was crazy, just didnt catch em out in the open.

Filled my tag on the east slope on Sunday. Find the water and bears will be moving morning and night around it. Listen for them....they're not quiet in my experience.

Filled my tag on the east slope on Sunday. Find the water and bears will be moving morning and night around it. Listen for them....they're not quiet in my experience.
Filled your bear or deer tag? I have spot that’s been recommended with good water at bottom of ridge. Hopefully see some action at sunrise

I found tons of scat, but maybe i was too late on the terrain or packed it in too early. I was out about daybreak and packed it in just before sundown. Was my first ever hunting trip so im learning.

I found tons of scat, but maybe i was too late on the terrain or packed it in too early. I was out about daybreak and packed it in just before sundown. Was my first ever hunting trip so im learning.

Find an area with food (berries on the west slope) that's a mile or two from water. Find fresh(ish) scat and determine which ways the bears are most likely walking. Get your wind right for that travel corridor. Sit and listen. They'll be back around

Good info thank you. Like i said, found tons of sign, some fresh some not. Do they like the little red berries that are everywhere?

If there's some fresh and some not the bears are consistently using the area. Good sign. If they're berries, yes. Not sure exactly where you're at, but the areas I hunt is manzanita bush country.

Killed that bear around 6,400'. Food, food, food, and water. They'll move up and down the mountain as needed.

I assume you were somewhere in mokulmne wilderness east of Bear river res (not expecting you to give your spot away) amd i thought about going there, but ive always camped up at hope valley charity valley, blue lakes area and have seen them up there all my youth so i tried the spot i was familiar with as far as landmarks and terrain go

I am not hunting D5 but still in the Sierras. We saw two bears at 5500 feet earlier this week. One monster and one that wasn't very big. I don't normally see berries above 6000 ft where we hunt. I typically see a lot more bears at 4500 this time of year. There were no berries where we saw the bears this last trip so obviously they use other food sources but berries seem like their first choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back